Dura-Lube Lifetime Engine Warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at a 08 Ford Taurus the other day at a local Ford dealership and the salesman was telling me if I got my oil changed at their dealership I would have a lifetime engine warranty. Now the [censored]/gimmick flags are waving in my head, so what is the fine print? It seems they add Dura-Lube to the oil and Dura-lube will warranty the engine for life. Has anyone else heard of this(gimmick)?

You do what you want but if it where me I would steer clear of Duralube, the only problem with bringing the car in too get its oil changed in my opinion is that Ford might try to sell you various things, brake flushes, trans flushes, coolant flushes, wiper blades, so I think there may be a catch. My local Mercury Dealer wanted $249.00 for a transmission flush, I said no thanks.

So you risk the Ford warranty in order to gain a snake oil warranty? If your going to play the additve game, best not to have it documented, even if the snakey dealer is doing it. my 02

Originally Posted By: c3po
You do what you want but if it where me I would steer clear of Duralube, the only problem with bringing the car in too get its oil changed in my opinion is that Ford might try to sell you various things, brake flushes, trans flushes, coolant flushes, wiper blades, so I think there may be a catch. My local Mercury Dealer wanted $249.00 for a transmission flush, I said no thanks.

$249 might be too much, or it might be 10qts of $7 syn fluid, a $30 filter, 1hr labor ($110), a gasket, shop consumables, etc... in the end all not all that out of bounds for the service.

Not justifying the dealer's charge, but often folks just automatically think that the dealer is trying to screw them, when in reality, the dealer is doing what the OEM REALLY intended to have done on a certain schedule.

If you dont want to do it, then dont wonder why your car doesnt last indefinitely.

JMH

My mom just paid $75 to have the pan dropped and transmission fluid, filter & gasket changed at a local transmission shop. $249.00 is WAY too high.

A transmission flush is a more involved service than a simple trans filter change. Thus the higher cost. Whether a trans flush is really necessary is debatable.

Not really. The most by % you can get out by just a pan drop is about 50%. On my vic it is about 40%. Depends on vehicle but a lot is in the torque converter and most t/c's any more do not have a drain plug.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe

My mom just paid $75 to have the pan dropped and transmission fluid, filter & gasket changed at a local transmission shop. $249.00 is WAY too high.
I think that Duralube contains chlorine. Chlorine is corrosive. There are some very good oils on the market that do the job just fine without using an additive to upset the additive package in the oil. I use AutoRx, as an engine cleaner, and Havoline 5w30.

With a trans flush you would drop the pan and change the filter.
Then you hook this flushing machine to the transmission lines and inject clean fluid through the transmission and cooler.
Theoretically flushing out all the old fluid instead of say 30-40%.

More work, more fluid, more equipment = higher cost.

Now whether this service is really necessary is debatable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back