Wal Mart Super Tech Full Synthetic Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone out there tell me if it is wise for me to switch to Wal Mart Super Tech Full Synthetic Oil. The Service Tech here in Asheboro, NC told me the Super Tech Synthetic was made by Exxon Mobil.

I have a 1998 Ford Ranger (4 cylinder)5 speed manual, with 122,456 miles, and does not use any oil between 5000 mile oil changes.

On Dec 8, 2005 my wife and I bought a new 2006 Toyota Camry LE (4 Cylinder) it now has 39,671 miles. Would it be alright to switch to Super Tech Full Synthetic at my next scheduled maintance at 42,006 miles?

I have done extensive research and reading on Synthetic versus conventional oil and all reports lead me to believe synthetic are much better for my car and pick up.

Please convince my why I should switch to synthetic.

Stephen J Streit
Asheboro, NC

28.gif

For you applications, I am not all that sure that you need to switch to a synthetic. For less money, why not use a very good HM oil like Valvoline HM. This oil has proved to be effective in many applications (search the Used Oil Analysis section). Nothing against Wally World full syn, I just feel that for your OCI you could do better for less...

The Super Tech synthetic is made by Warren Performance Products, a division of Warren Distribution. It's the same as their Mag 1 synthetic.

No way I'd switch a 10 year old Ranger with 122K to synthetic oil. It's not worth it. Keep up your 5K changes and you'll never have an oil related engine issue. Switch the Camry if you like, but if you're doing 5K changes on it as well you don't have much to gain.

Super Tech is made by Warren Distribution not Exxon Mobil.

i have been on the supretech bandwagon for 3 yrs now.
s tech f syn is a fair enough product.
i dont think the value is what it could be.
same w/ s tech dino.
the prices keep inching up, and the cost spread b/t SuperT and national brands narrowing.
super t is a good day in day out value.
but the smart shopper can do better if he shops promotions for national brands

Originally Posted By: Sjstreit
... Would it be alright to switch to Super Tech Full Synthetic at my next scheduled maintance at 42,006 miles?.......

Please convince my why I should switch to synthetic....

It would be "alright" to switch, but if you need convincing then I doubt it is worth it unless you plan on keeping these vehicles forever.
Joe

Hey, when you can buy Mobil Clean5000 for $6.98 for a 5 quart jug, why bother? Supertech Syn was 3.99 today here in No. Va. 20.00 for 5 quarts of ST Syn? vs 15 quarts of the dino for 21? The Mobil is good for 5K easy. Is the ST Syn good for nearly a 15K OCI? Doubt it..

Last edited:
I agree with bigjeffe, Supertech synth is really a groupIII motor oil,with carbon molecules taken out of it. A good quality dino oil on sale would be a better choice. Ex.mobil 5000 clean or exxon products. supertech has shown weak results after 4000 miles.

i dont say you are going wrong with super tech.
but the value, particularly w/ the "synthetic" isnt that wonderful.
i have used the dino quite a bit as well. again a good day in- day out value. better than paying retail for a national brand. but i have never seen a super discount on supertech.
you kids here and bitog have me perusing for discounts on national brands.
shoot, formula shell was 1.81 at costco yesterday.
i think this is within a dime or quarter of st dino.

would like to see a head to head duel b/t the two.

i have personally run ST dino to 7500 miles in my v-8 tundra.
seems to be just fine, although i would keep it closer to 5k typically.

i run the supertech dex III atf in my tundra also (Mdl Yr 2000)
after 50k plus (now at 140k total) no problems there either, although i have done a home flush a couple times.
i pulled the tranny pan and had very little metal, more like dust.

so to end my diatribe, supertech products are fine.
the dino is a good value for my easy on oil tundra.
but again, as ST prices rise, national brand promotions look better all the time.

for those that are lightly jousting about the origins of ST oils, I would think that the MSDS daman posted would indicate that at least some areas of the country get oil sourced from XOM for ST brand. I believe if you look around the threads here or search, there are several threads that discuss this issue, and I believe the consensus was that ST oils are...welp, it depends on what area of the country you are in. those that answered Warren Performance Products, were partially right, and there have also been some indications that sometimes it's SOPUS products used for ST brand oils. I would guess it might have to do with availability and shipping. but that's only a guess, anyone else have anymore insight to this?

Having gone back and looked at the MSDS data, I would say you and Daman are quite correct. Anyone can go the msds.walmartstores.com and get the information. For example, entering "super tech synthetic" will give results for both Warren Distribution and SOPUS, but not XOM.

Sjstreit, i am going with every one else here and say stick with the dino.. they can easily go 5k miles esp Penzoil, Valvoline Maxlife, Havoline and most major brand labels.. but really its your choice.. i would be more worried aobut your trannies and diffies than i would those motors

Stick with dino and buy what's on sale.

Anything API SM is going to be great for both of your cars, and you will not have an oil related problem.

Mobil5000 clean seems to be the cheapest of the bunch, right after supertech oil.

If you want to run a SOPUS product, then quaker state I think is 50 cents more per 5quart jug than the XOM product.

For your vehicles, the warren supertech lube with a supertech filter would be absolutely fine at 5k intervals.

st synthetic is made by warren PP...if it says wpp on bottom of container...WM sells a 5 qt jug of pennzoil platinum for 20 bucks, a great oil...i think you should go with that...or the mobil clean for 9 bucks..or regular pennzoil for 10.50 a jug....M1 is 22 bucks for a 4.375 quart jug at WM...dino oils are very good...syntheticas last longer and excel at hi or low temps

5-20 reg super tech is made by WPP and it looks like the super tech 5-30 is made by mobil...have you noticed the bottles are shaped different?...at least in NE....i think they are both good oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back