Dana 70 w/ LSD: Which gear oil???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time to change gear oil, I'm thinking of using either RP Max Gear which has friction modifier in it or Amsoil Severe Gear plus a friction modifier, both in the 75W90 flavor.
Right now I am running Mobil1 75W90 plus 4oz of the Mopar friction modifier. I will also use which ever I go with in the front Dana 60 as well.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
What kind of vehicle? Engine?

I recommend this: Amsoil SVT 75W-110

It is a 2001 Dodge 2500 with the Cummins Turbo Diesel. I don't pull much with it anymore, maybe twice a year I pull a 12-15k pound load. What I am really looking for is a fluid that doesn't require a friction modifier to be added separately. The way I read the Amsoil site is that you may or may not need the FM?
The Manual specs a GL-5 SAE 90 with FM at 6.5% of the lube quantity for the Dana 70 w/ LSD.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TurboLuver
Originally Posted By: Pablo
What kind of vehicle? Engine?

I recommend this: Amsoil SVT 75W-110

It is a 2001 Dodge 2500 with the Cummins Turbo Diesel. I don't pull much with it anymore, maybe twice a year I pull a 12-15k pound load. What I am really looking for is a fluid that doesn't require a friction modifier to be added separately. The way I read the Amsoil site is that you may or may not need the FM?
The Manual specs a GL-5 SAE 90 with FM at 6.5% of the lube quantity for the Dana 70 w/ LSD.

It may work, but I'm telling you with LSD's there are NO guarantees with any fluid as far as chatter. Just when one fellows has the exact same set-up has no noises, the next guy has noise issues. For sure use the 75W-110 and my estimation you will need the additive, but you can try it without first.

Your choice of Royal Purple 75w-90 is actually a 75w-110, they just haven't re-evaluated their gear oils with the new gear oil specification.

This is why some users who were running 90 weight gear oil, from years ago that was the same thickness as the new 110 viscosity requirement, may notice some noise with Amsoil 75w-90 gear oils.

I would use a xxW/140 oil in that rear end the engine puts out lots of power and the protection from the 140 wt is good. Look for an oil that has the friction modifier for L.S.D.in it . I have Redline 85w/140
"because the price is right and several stores in my area carry it,no other reason" in my wifes Ford Superduty with the Diesel engine . It has a L.S.D. and have not had to add any additive.

Reviving an old thread. How much is too much?

I've already added the 4oz bottle to my Toyota LSD, when I switched to SVT 75w110 (on Pablo's recommendation in another thread, and overall much smoother and quieter, thanks!)and I get pop every now and then in parking lots turning right and left.

What is the effect of using too much friction modifier? excessive wear? shortened lub oci?

I was gonna add 2 more oz to see if it helped...

That is sound reasoning and I think that is the way to go. You might look at this discussion for more insight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back