Chevron Supreme Synthetic
CITGO SUPERGARD Synthetic
Mobil 1
Northland, Synergy Synthetic
Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic
Texaco Havoline Synthetic
Q HorsePower

All 5w/10w-30. M1 0w30.

I've got to laugh at Castrol. What, their Syntec isn't good enough to meet a spec that other similarly priced oils can? They feel the need to charge a lot more get an oil to meet a spec that less expensive oils can do? Bah!

Originally Posted By: JAG
I've got to laugh at Castrol. What, their Syntec isn't good enough to meet a spec that other similarly priced oils can? They feel the need to charge a lot more get an oil to meet a spec that less expensive oils can do? Bah!

Yeah that is why I never liked them. Most over rated synthetic IMO.

Originally Posted By: buster

Agreed except for the GC.

Why does the "regular" Mobil 1 5w30 have the GM4718M specification listed on the label, but not Mobil 1 Truck and SUV or Mobil 1 EP?

Mobil 1 10W-30, 5W-30, and 0W-30 are all approved. Mobil 1 0W-30 is the only approved 0W-30.

GM4718M is for all Cadillacs, Corvette, SSR, GTO, top end Solstice, Sky - all higher performance GM vehicles

Last edited:
Any GM gas engine with a turbocharger, supercharged Cobalts/Ions, or the higher performance/higher technology engines such the LS2/LS7 or Northstar.

It is a standard related to deposit control performance, and performance at high temperatures in absence of an oil cooler.

Of significance; No Valvoline SynPower in spite of their claims to the contrary on their Website, No Conoco Phillips product such as Kendall or Trop Artic, and as others have pointed out the overhyped Syntec from Castrol. Also, no Shell, no SuperTech.

BTW; the Northstar GM only requires GM6094. Got one in my LuCerne.

I am sure Syntec users can sleep well due to their selection of oil.

Originally Posted By: 3putter
Also, no Shell, no SuperTech.

Q-Horsepower is made by Shell, so that's sort of like Shell being included.

Do we know that unlisted oils were tested and failed, or only that the mfg. didn't pay for or ask for certification?

For example, Quaker State Horsepower is listed but Quaker State Torque Power isn't. I suspect that is because Shell/Quaker State intend Torque Power for markets where the GM spec is a don't care.

I don't see any of the specialty oils on the list, but again that probably doesn't mean they were tested and failed, but only that they probably weren't tested.

Concluding the oils not on the list are inferior to those which are is a logical error. All the list says is that if you use these oils GM is not going to give you a warranty headache, at least in theory!

To clarify the logic, presence on the list consitutes positive information about an oil. But not being on the list does not constitute negative information about an oil. Instead, it only signifies an absence of information. It is not a question of good vs. bad, but rather good vs. unknown.

By the logic of the presence on a list being positive information, unless you need a HT/HS of 3.5 or greater, in a 5W-30 grade gasoline, stock engine, there are no better oils than Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum that meet warranty requirements for the vast majority of new vehicles.

Strange inference but extremely hard to disagree with.

I would guess the average consumer does not know about the standard so they do not make a purchasing decision based upon it. Therefore, if the standard is a hassle to obtain/maintain and practically irrelevant (already covered by existing standards), then I could see oil sellers not seeing it as marketing need.

In the end, the sellers are after brand loyalty not just comparing adherence to specific specs. For example, even if PP did not list the spec, PP users would not have any issue using the proper grade oil in any vehicle.

Quote:
The Valvoline SynPower Full Synthetic SAE 5w30 does meet the performance requirements for the GM4718M recommended for Corvette and Cadillac applications, but we are not approved through the manufacturer, being the reason we are not listed on this list of products. We do stand behind our Valvoline SynPower SAE 5w30 for this specification, as Valvoline SynPower is the #1 synthetic oil on the market.

Though it may be a reasonably good synthetic at a fair price, I can’t figure out how Synpower can be the #1 synthetic oil on the market (according to Valvoline or anyone else). Because it has ¼ the wear of M1 5W30 in a test? It can’t be due to market share or the number of manufacturer approvals. It can’t be cost either since Supertech is cheaper.

Also keep in mind that the GM LS engines used in trucks have oil coolers and don’t require 4718M oils. Those applications require oils that meet (the less stringent) 4094M.

I have heard that a newer list will come out soon and will drop the M1 10w-30 because GM wants to avoid any confusion in that they strictly recommend 5w-30 OR if COLD ENOUGH, 0w-30.

Of interest, the newest bottles of M1 10w-30 do NOT list the GM approval. The newest bottles of M1 0w-30 of course do list the GM approval.

M1 EP, and M1 T&SUV are still to be left out as M1 will has not nor will not submit them for approval, again related to GM's desire in limiting confusion.

Taking note from TeeDub and applying his formula (below) PP looks to be the strongest.

cSt @ 100 / HTHS (the lower the result, the more shear stable)

Last edited:
Quote:
We do stand behind our Valvoline SynPower SAE 5w30 for this specification, as Valvoline SynPower is the #1 synthetic oil on the market.

According to the latest NPD research they are number #4 behind Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum, and Castrol Syntec.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back