Oils for stock 350 5.7L carb V8 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im doing engine swap right now, and im getting a 350 5.7L carb v8 ( from either camaro or firebird or van or truck )from year 88 under, just wonder what oils weight is best for these type of engine , thanks

I believe if that engine has the 4-bbl carb, then it must be from '86 or older. AFAIK GM switched over to to TBI in '87 on the 350ci engines. I'm thinking 10W-30 was the recommended oil at the time.

Ed B.

I don't know how different it is from the LT1 350 V8 5.7 but when my sister had one it really liked the 5W-30 MaxLife. We used it for two intervals and it helped reduce the consumption some and also stopped the slight leak it had.

In the LT-1 all you really have to consider is the roller cam unless the 350 in question is a late model thats retroed or came with one. I have used Red Line but mine is far from stock and its an LT-1 and not a stock 350. Look at some UOA's to see what is working well. The 350 is pretty forgiving and most oils will deliver similar results in a stock application unless you plan to extend your drain intervals.

If the donor motor is out of a '86 or older camaro or fire bird it'll be flat tappet cam,probably same for a van or truck as well, 5w30 was used in them engines back then,10w30 or 5w30 can be used..if it's a healthy tight motor use 5w30..

Quote:
If the donor motor is out of a '86 or older camaro or fire bird it'll be flat tappet cam,probably same for a van or truck as well
I'd stay away from the "Energy Conserving", low ZDDP stuff, but that's just me.
27.gif

Originally Posted By: RWEST
Quote:
If the donor motor is out of a '86 or older camaro or fire bird it'll be flat tappet cam,probably same for a van or truck as well
I'd stay away from the "Energy Conserving", low ZDDP stuff, but that's just me.
27.gif

I agree,,but if it's a stock motor with stock valve springs one should be fine..could alwys SLOB it too..

Yes its stock for now, and 383 stroker will be in a few month, I stay with 10w/30 pennzoils, thanks you guys.

10-40 is also a possible candidate in that engine.
You're going to get more fuel wash from a carb than a FI engine. It probably has a lot of miles.
A bit thicker oil may be smart in your case.

Originally Posted By: killagt
Yes its stock for now, and 383 stroker will be in a few month, I stay with 10w/30 pennzoils, thanks you guys.

Don't do that, your motor will be sludged in a month, use lucas
LOL.gif

My friends dad had an 350 carb for his pickup. Used 10W-40 mainly Quaker State sometimes GTX. It finally died with about 375,000 miles.

This engine will be fresh build, I dont know should I stick with regular pennzoils or go with platium, this motor will be DD and race in the weekent, so 10w/40 good ideal ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back