02 Honda CRV tire rotation noise Yokohama tires

Status
Not open for further replies.

PT1

02 CRV 80k on the clock...runs like new. Put on a set of Yokohama tires at 50k and now they are at about 50% of their treadwear life and make this loud rotational noise on dry pavement. It's so loud I thought it was a wheel bearing or CVJ shaft so I took it to the dealer and let them look at it. They said its the tires.
mad.gif
Has anyone had this situation? Any cures? Or just ride them out? One saving grace, the primary driver is a 17yoa female who has the radio on at level 10 most of the time anyway so she doesn't hear them.

Once a tire gets loud there isn't much you can do that I'm aware of. I've thought about getting tires shaved to smooth them out but I'm not sure who could do such a thing. I've had a couple of direction tires that tend to wear the tread blocks unevenly making them loud. The worst set I had was Yokohama AVS dB tires. My current Bridgestone Potenza RE950's are loud also but not nearly as bad. I've had Goodyear Eagle Aquatreads, Eagle GT-HR's and Eagle HP's that were directional also but never got loud like these last 2 sets I've had. I can't wait to wear them out and get new tires.

What caused this is misalignment. That caused the tread to wear irregularly, and that is causing the noise.

If you didn't rotate the tires, then the alignment is really, really close to spec - and rotating the tire now will probably not remove the noise any time soon.

But if you did rotate them reguarly - 5K to 8K - then the alignment needs to be fixed and you probably will wear a new and quieter pattern fairly soon.

But if you rotated them, but not regularly, then you should get the alignment lloked at, and a tire rotation will probably wear a new wear pattern, but it will take some time for it to have an effect.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
What caused this is misalignment. That caused the tread to wear irregularly, and that is causing the noise.

If you didn't rotate the tires, then the alignment is really, really close to spec - and rotating the tire now will probably not remove the noise any time soon.

But if you did rotate them reguarly - 5K to 8K - then the alignment needs to be fixed and you probably will wear a new and quieter pattern fairly soon.

But if you rotated them, but not regularly, then you should get the alignment lloked at, and a tire rotation will probably wear a new wear pattern, but it will take some time for it to have an effect.

I rotate every 5000 OCI by hand & torque the lugs to spec. The alignment & balance are fine. This is my second and last set of Yokohamas. Had a set on a Suburban several years ago that did the same thing. Maybe it's their rubber compound or tread design. But these tires have an 800 treadwear rating and are driven hard by the teenager. But 30k into them with 50% tread left is too young to be making all this noise IMO.

Are they TRZs? I had a problem too, see the thread on it. I cut the sharp part off the tread blocks and cross-rotated them. Problem is diminished and will go away as they wear down to zippo. It's a shame because the TRZ is pretty good. I had several H/V4s and never a problem with them, excellent handling and decent wear.

I just posted in another thread the same problem with BFG Traction T/A. They are also directional and can't be cross-rotated.
Drives me nuts. But when my wife or daughter drive the same car, they say can't hear a thing. I noticed that it's worse on some streets with new, smooth asphalt surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back