How to keep headlights from getting sun damage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whats the best product for keeping the headlight lenses from sun damage and getting cloudy ?

I don't care how expensive, I just want the best product.

-Get indoor parking (*simple*)

-get UV protection cream (easy to apply, you have to do it frequently thou)

-get some sort of thick transparent vinyl film to cover your poly lens (somewhat effective)

Ultimately, pretty much all plastic headlight lenses will turn cloudy due to UV and exposure to element damage. Your best bet is to get a new pair and go from there.

Q.

I like using Eagle One's "Nevr-Dull" on my headlights. Keeps them nice, shiny and clean.
passengerafterkb3.jpg

Zaino Z-2 Pro. Seals the pores of the plastic and has the equivalent of SPF 50 to prevent sun damage.

Meguiar's Step 3 yellow carnauba wax. A man here who has his own business restoring headlights told me about it. When he is done with a car he leaves a card in the car telling the owner to wax the lenses with it to stop the UV damage.

Maybe Ventureshield paint protection film? The stuff does act as a layer between the lens and the atmosphere, so perhaps it could take more of the beating?

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Thanks for all the tips.
thumbsup2.gif

Aerospace303 is supposed to have ahigh SPF rating too.

If you do have some lenses that have gotten dull, Google around and you can find some good example of how people have polished them back to respectability.

Take care of them, on alot of cars they only way they can be replaced is hy buying a complete new headlight unit. An exteme example is a C6 corvette at several hundred dollars a headlight.

I just polished mine on my 2002 F150. I bought the 6 dollar kit at AutoZone. They have 3 different kits. I went with the one that you use a cordless drill to attach the pads to. It comes impregnated with a polish and all you do is spritz it with water and apply gentle pressure. The circular motion of the drill does the work.

It worked excellent on my truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back