Who has used seafoam in the crankcase?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering who has done this. I want to try it but have heard about it being hard on seals. Any thoughts?

Mike

I just did it last weekend on my 2005 mercury 4.6 with 54,000 miles on it. I only put about 2 ounces in the crankcase, the car hold 6 quarts. I only drove it about 50 miles before dong a oil and filter change.

my two cents worth on seafoam in the crank case:
don't use too much
don't leave it in for a long period of time or many miles
make sure you have a oil filter that's not plugged up or full of crude before doing it.
I won't use it on engine that is massively sludged, but then again the engine is on it last days anyhow if so

Originally Posted By: MillerMan

I won't use it on engine that is massively sludged, but then again the engine is on it last days anyhow if so

not necessarily

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
I would recommend against it. Too much thinning of the oil.

Try AUTORX or LCD.

Do you guys realize, that there are very, very few people, who have anywhere near the knowledge and expertise of MolaKule? It appears, that his comment on this subject, was not given anywhere near the weight it deserves however.

I mean honestly now you guys.
smirk2.gif

If, that is 'if' Seafoam is made 'safe to use' in the crank, by greatly decreasing the dosage and amount of time present in the oil of a running engine, it is also made ineffective for the most part.

Do you get the relationship there fellas?
55.gif

Such a tiny dose and insufficient dwell time, probably makes it safe to use in your crank, and yet you are wasting both time and money and not accomplishing anything.

MolaKule isn't selling the two products he recommended. He is trying to give you good advice, and you guys just ignored him. We are all lucky that he even bothers, and yes I am serious. We are lucky.

un-freaking-be-lievable !
33.gif

How is anyone going against Molakule?

Nobody said to not listen to him. Some people said they have used it in minimal amounts and how they did it and the results they got.

His input/knowledge is highly regarded on here

Originally Posted By: 02zx9r
How is anyone going against Molakule?

Nobody said to not listen to him. Some people said they have used it in minimal amounts and how they did it and the results they got.

His input/knowledge is highly regarded on here

Exactly, nobody said that. I asked what was LCD? and a link was posted, so I'd say I was "listening" to him very well. Was that a serious post oilgal?

It's great to have members on here who know more than the average joe, like Molakule, just seems to me other people were just sharing there experiences
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
well actually I put the seafoam in, drove to town and back (50 miles) came home let it sit over night, next day warmed the motor up by idling and drained.

the motor is not sludged up at all, but I could slight amounts (thin layer) of varnish down the oil fill hole. it did clean up some after doing the seafoam

every engine/circumstance is different the way I look at it.

I am not a fan of pouring a half 16 ounce can or more of seafoam into a sludge engine and leaving it there for a 3000 mile oil change intervaul.

Originally Posted By: MillerMan
well actually I put the seafoam in, drove to town and back (50 miles) came home let it sit over night, next day warmed the motor up by idling and drained.

Would it have been better to let it sit for an hour or so after the 50 mile round trip run to town then drain it?

most likely so, but it was dark and snowing with strong winds when I got home from town. I changed the oil outside, I wanted to drain the oil when it was almost hot, so I warmed the engine up. I let it drain into the pan for about a hour before putting the plug in.

YMMV, but I know alot of people whom used it, it works. Yup it thins the oil and? Not in there long enough to do anything.YMMV

not in long enough to do anything? maybe so
remember the film in the motor had time to work for about 12 hours

I don't know, I'm not claiming to be a expert on the subject

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back