Engineering... Drexel vs Rutgers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be going to college this fall and of the schools I got accepted to, My top two choices are Rutgers (new brunswick/piscataway) and Drexel. I was wondering what were people's thoughts on the schools? I got a substantial scholarship from drexel, which means the costs are fairly close to one another.

Strictly from an educational/employment standpoint, what are everybodys thoughts on the quality of the programs? How are these schools regarded in the professional world? Is one considered any better than the other?

One thing that kind of concerns me is that Drexel makes co-op's part of their experience, which isnt necessarily true with Rutgers. Could any engineers/engineering grads chime in on the matter? I am having a difficult time choosing between the two schools. Both schools have their pro's and cons and I wont say that I like one much more than the other.

Thanks
Jim

I have no experience with either school (North Dakota State University Electrical Engineer here), but you might want to specify what type of engineering. Usually a difference in quality of the program between types (mechanical, electrical, civil, industrial, chemical, etc).

In general I would say that what school you attended *maybe* only matters for your first job. After that, years experience take precedence over which school. I will say Co-ops are a huge help once you get a full time job. Gives you a sense of what to expect. Although Rutgers doesn't require it, you could probably find one anyway and have the same benefit.

Just my 2 cents

I work for the Navy in Philadelphia. We get Drexel Co-ops and many of my coworkers were co-ops at one time. It is a good program, and Drexel engineering isnt a bad program overall. Philadelphia is a great place to live, too.

I agree with MidnightG35x, companies and grad schools will recognize certain names/advisors over others. So it depends what program you want to get into...

JMH

I'm a PSU M.E. grad. I have run into Drexel grads. They seem fine. Basically you get out what you put in in any decent Program which I'm sure both are.

One problem I have with Drexel..they still charge full boat tuition when you are out in Co-Op assignment. PSU charges only a nominal amount for that Semester. (At least they used to). I am a big fan of C0-Ops (didn't have them when I graduated in '69)

One of my best friends graduated from College of NJ in M.E. based on his Engineering Skills..it must be very good.

I think both Drexel/Rutgers are overpriced. You could go to PSU cheaper even with out of state prices. Maybe you could then claim residency? Maybe go to a PSU Branch Campus near you for the first 2 years. There is one at Abington (not sure they offer Engineering). Berks campus in Reading offers Engineering.

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
Go to the one that has the higher percentage of attractive women (or whatever floats your boat), if you can't otherwise decide.

Are you kidding? Engineering has very few women in it. Period :) I think my class had 67 grads... 4 or 5 women. Male/Female ratio is not good
frown.gif

But I like where your head is it
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Is a co-op like an internship?

Co-op is when you alternate semesters with classes one semester and working full time next semester. I am a big fan of co-op as its never too early to start networking. The more networking and therefore contacts, the more possibility to advance at a faster pace in your career. I had a choice of going to a co-op school and i opted not to. On the other hand my sister opted to go to a co-op school and i saw first hand how co-op could help. Being able to work full time she was able to accrue finances to pay for apartment/tuitions and at the same time make valuable contacts. She graduated with minimal student loans and already had an upper hand on jobs with the vast networking net she had under her. The only con about co-op is that it adds usually a year to your graduation. Instead of 4 it was 5 years for her.

To the OP, I would definately pick Drexel. Rutgers would probably have more eye candy for ya!

I think someplaces mix the terms Co-op and internship. I agree with the definition Deven gave. I did my Co-op and it gave me valuable experience. Plus you can figure out if you like a company or not. In my case, I did, so now I'm here full time!

Look at the companies that recruit at the two schools. That will give you an idea of what types of jobs are availible when you graduate. If the same companies recruit at both schools, then the programs are probably similar in quality.

Originally Posted By: Winston
Look at the companies that recruit at the two schools. That will give you an idea of what types of jobs are availible when you graduate. If the same companies recruit at both schools, then the programs are probably similar in quality.

I dont know about that... I went to a top 10 school in my field of engineering. One of the best in the world. Yet you saw many of the same companies at recruiting shows at "lesser" schools.

Some companies you knew were better, some companies you knew were worse.

I think they hit them all. All it is really is a person or two to move the booth and collect the papers. Most of the big companies just send the resumes through a scanner to look for GPA and a few other things.

JMH

Well thanks for the input guys. I should have mentioned I am going for mechanical Engineering.

I also got into Penn State main campus, however it is a bit farther than I wanted to go to school. I want to live on my own, but at the same time I like being able to get home if I need to. I have a few things going on in life right now that may require that.

As for cost, drexel is about 48 but I got a scholarship for 13k a year, so its 35. PSU would cost me 30 and Rutgers, because I am in state would cost me 20. So I dont know if Drexel is 60k BETTER than Rutgers is either.

Thoughts?
Jim

Originally Posted By: kartracer55
Well thanks for the input guys. I should have mentioned I am going for mechanical Engineering.

In that case, definitely choose the one that has more attractive women on campus. Mech eng is the worst for that. Ten years later you will understand.

Originally Posted By: kartracer55
So I dont know if Drexel is 60k BETTER than Rutgers is either.

Thoughts?
Jim

Don't forget Drexel is 5 years. Add another 35K to the 60. In my experience the difference is what the student puts into it.

I'm M.E. and I learned 90% of the material out of class studying.
I'd go with Rutgers.

Originally Posted By: Al
In my experience the difference is what the student puts into it.

I'm M.E. and I learned 90% of the material out of class studying.

Great point Al.

I've seen honours Bmechs turn up at work, who can no explain the relationship between stress/strain...they've used it only a billion times in the course of their "training"...came to work to ask us "engineers" what the red light meant on the dashboard.

We've got a kid (20) at present half way through his course who is messing around with cars, designing mods. We've let him loose with writing $100k specifications for decent works...he wants to be stretched. He wants to learn, and he shows great talent. Could probably leave university now, and walk into the market swinging.

Go to the school with the highest prevalence of sexually transmitted diseases, of course.
Worst year of my life, going to Rutgers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back