Amsoil SSO 0W-30, 1993 Civic, 3,007 miles

Originally Posted By: harry j
Originally Posted By: addyguy
Are you going to deal with the coolant leak? Seems a waste to do 3k changes on SSO.....

I am not sure. It could be the head gasket. I have discussed this with the mechanic. He feels that the leak is so minor that installing a new gasket would not be very cost effective. I may have the head bolts retorqued in the mean time. What would you suggest?

GM cooling system sealer pellets, and install them into the radiator.

Harry,

Have you considered consulting with Terry Dyson? Perhaps he can help get your issues with gas/antifreeze under control. If not eliminate the prob give tips to get the most longevity out of your engine.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Harry,

Have you considered consulting with Terry Dyson? Perhaps he can help get your issues with gas/antifreeze under control. If not eliminate the prob give tips to get the most longevity out of your engine.

No I haven't. I wouldn't know how to contact him. didn't he quit this forum some time ago?

Originally Posted By: yota4me
Originally Posted By: ConfederateTyrant
Flush your radiator with a propylene glycol based coolant. The Amsoil coolant claims to perform sealing of hair-line cracks, plus propylene glycol is not damaging to engine internals.

+1
This engine been Auto-RX'd?

No need to RX the engine, apparently gasoline works very well.

Cooling Pellets, Is there any downside to using these?

Not really, aside from turning your coolant brown. GM recommends it for their 3.1/3.4L V6 engines, so it couldn't possibly cause any problems.
No need to RX the engine, apparently gasoline works very well.

crackmeup2.gif

OK Critic, you've talked me into it. I'm gonna run down to the local Chevy dealer and get a box of 'em. Thanks

You can get an analysis by Dyson Analysis for $60, which includes Terry's advice by e-mail and TBN, Oxidation, Nitration, and Sulfanation and a more accurate Fuel dilution reading. Just google Dyson Analysis, the service is well worth it in my opinion.

I appreciate that dcoyne78, I have always respected Terry's opinions, too bad he no longer posts on this site.

Originally Posted By: yota4me

I'm thinking that I have a leaky fuel injector. I plan to have them all changed soon. The dealer wants $153 each for them, so I'm looking elsewhere for them.

This place has good prices. Haven't ordered anything yet.
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto...KA5MT&catcgry5=

Thank you for the effort yota4me, but I didn't see fuel injectors listed on their site. They do have decent prices on other items though, thanks again.

Harry

------------------------------------
"The truth is out there"

On a hunch, I replaced the fuel pressure regulator today. The engine idles much better now. I wonder if a bad FPR was causing the fuel in the SSO. I look forward to the next UOA to see for sure. It may not have been the fuel injectors after all.

Originally Posted By: 02zx9r
you should give RP a try!

27.gif

JUST KIDDING FOLKS (relax)

I did try it once, couldn't wait to get it out. Now with the new SSO, unless a better oil is marketed, it is the only oil I would consider for my Civic. The car runs better than new. Originally the highway sticker MPG was 38, that was under the old EPA guidelines. I usually average over 40 MPG HWY at 70 MPH. I have gotten as high as 50 MPG HWY. There is no oil burn, no leaks. For the 93 cubic inch engine displacement, it really moves out.

27.gif

I did try it once, couldn't wait to get it out.

smartest thing you could have probably done!!!!

27.gif

I did try it once, couldn't wait to get it out. Now with the new SSO, unless a better oil is marketed, it is the only oil I would consider for my Civic. The car runs better than new. Originally the highway sticker MPG was 38, that was under the old EPA guidelines. I usually average over 40 MPG HWY at 70 MPH. I have gotten as high as 50 MPG HWY. There is no oil burn, no leaks. For the 93 cubic inch engine displacement, it really moves out.

I also tried MI 5W-30. I was disturbed by two things. The oil turned black in short order and there was an annoying clatter from the top end. The SSO does neither of these things. I would describe the engine operation as "turbine like".

harry, color has very little to do with performance. In fact, when an oil gets dark it's doing it's job.

side note, never noticed a difference in noise with m1 or any other oils. Lot of it is psychological.

Originally Posted By: buster
harry, color has very little to do with performance. In fact, when an oil gets dark it's doing it's job.

side note, never noticed a difference in noise with m1 or any other oils. Lot of it is psychological.

If the oil was doing it's job, why was my engine noisier. I had no preconceived notion that M1 would cause any engine noise. It was before I knew about BITOG. I was looking forward to the M1's performance and was disappointed. The blackness of the oil was kinda of a shock to me. I had never experienced this before or since. The upper engine noise was definite, not psycholigical.

harry some oils take time to fully lay down their protective layer. If you are draining oils every 3k and switching brands all the time, that could be one possible reason. I've tried more oils than most people I know and I've never had any difference with engine noise using Mobil 1. However it is possible I guess that some oils will be more quiet than others but generally speaking it's psychological.

Back