502 spec oil for madre. syntec, pentosin, or mobil

Status
Not open for further replies.
mom has a new A4 2.0T FSI (4k miles on it). i know all of the dillution problems with this engine. i've read most of RI_RS4's threads. STFA a bit already and read the other 502 threads. i will be doing 5k intervals (if i can make it home to change it).

She mainly does short trips. I'd imagine she's not too demanding on the turbo but at the same rate probably doesn't worry too much about getting the engine up to operating temps.

seems like the 5w40 syntec is pretty blah for the money. Not real thrilled about the mobil 0w40. i just have a love affair with 5w40s, what can i say. so i guess i'm leaning towards the pentosin pento high.

The disadvantage to the pentosin, i have to mail order it, and it's a little more expensive. I can also find Elf Excellium DID 5w40 but it's even more expensive. pento products are often factory fill for VAG cars too btw.

not looking for huge conversation, rather a quick suggestion. i want to stick with 502 for warranty purposes. Our dealer is sh1t and will throw us under the bus immediately if there is an engine problem and no spec oil in the pan.

my TT and S4 get mobil TDT 5w40. i wish i could use the same in the A4 but it's not 502.

i would certainly consider GC if there's one on the spec sheet that i can order online.

Thanks all.

Originally Posted By: administerturbo
mom has a new A4 2.0T FSI (4k miles on it). i know all of the dillution problems with this engine. [snip] She mainly does short trips. I'd imagine she's not too demanding on the turbo but at the same rate probably doesn't worry too much about getting the engine up to operating temps.

Must I ask the obvious question?

Lubromoly Vollsynthese 5W40. It's available on the internet. Just do a search. Best 502 oil I've seen. Not as good as RLI 5W40, but it will do well for an oil that meets warranty requirements.

Last edited:
Quote:

What color is it?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: moribundman
mom has a new A4 2.0T FSI (4k miles on it). i know all of the dillution problems with this engine. [snip] She mainly does short trips. I'd imagine she's not too demanding on the turbo but at the same rate probably doesn't worry too much about getting the engine up to operating temps.

She's a hip Madre wantin a turbo
21.gif

My choice would be Motul 5w40 but its expensive

heh, it's black... and it's a 6 speed. hmmm, in fact all of our audi's are black, manual, quattro, and turbo. i think i see a slight pattern. mom loves her car. after a nice curvy road she calls me me giggling.
thanks for the suggestions folks. i like the lubromoly. don't think the amsoil is on the spec sheet. i thought i read the motul didn't hold up so well and perhaps a little too pricy. i'll have to talk to napa. not sure they will want to deal with ordering stuff here in west by [censored] virginia...

i like the lubromoly.

Synthoil High Tech 5W-40
ACEA A3-98/B3-98 Issue 2/B4-98 ; API SM/CF ; BMW Longlife-98 ; MB-Freigabe 229.1 ; MB-Freigabe 229.3 ; Porsche ; VW 502.00 / 505.00

When I used it about 2 years ago, it met API SJ but not SM, and they've reformulated it since then. It met the same Euro specs then as it does now, so I think it is not a good sign that it hasn't gained approval for 2004 ACEA specs or BMW LL-01. Lack of MB 229.5 is understandable because that spec has a tough fuel economy requirement that makes it very hard to meet with a 5W-40 oil (due to relatively high in-use viscosity).

In the A4 and A3, the FSI turbo *IS* the small, tame, engine choice for mom if that's what you're wondering.

odd, i don't see the lubromoly on the newest spec sheet from sept '07. [censored]. liqui moly is on there which i suspect is the same company... just harder if not impossible to find

Originally Posted By: Craig in Canada

In the A4 and A3, the FSI turbo *IS* the small, tame, engine choice for mom if that's what you're wondering.

That's not what I was wondering. Using a turbo gas engine around town for short trips is what I find befuddling, especially if that particular engine tends to suffer from fuel dilution.

it's a perfect engine for her. efficient yet power when you need it. sure she makes lots of short trips, but just as many trips where the engine gets up to operating temps. doesn't take that engine long to warm up. i'll do shorter change intervals, no problem. she needs AWD and likes the style, quality, and performance.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RI_RS4
Lubromoly Vollsynthese 5W40. It's available on the internet. Just do a search. Best 502 oil I've seen. Not as good as RLI 5W40, but it will do well for an oil that meets warranty requirements.

What’s your take on the TOP TEC 4200 5 W-30?

I have used the Longtime High Tec in my wife’s 130i BMW and it seems to be doing well...no noticeable usage after 10000km and has not discolored much...yet to do a UOA (will post asap). I have developed a good relationship with the Liqui-Moly agents here in SA, they suggested I use the TopTech in my 2.0TFSI...thoughts?

my TT and S4 get mobil TDT 5w40. i wish i could use the same in the A4 but it's not 502.

Technically your TT and S4 require 502 also. So... use the Mobil 1 TDT 5w40-- imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back