ARX success story - Ford Vulcan 3.0 V-6

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my experience with Auto-Rx the advertising should be changed to include it's ability to do just what happened in this thread, fix problems inside the engine like bringing back the compression. I'm slow in getting info together about the effect Auto-Rx has on an engine in good condition but looking at California smog test results. My partner in these test, Lonnie, has been sick for a while but the data is comming. The conclusion I've come to is that Auto-Rx is way under priced and it can not be directly compared with any other products on the market. It's in it's own category, a category that has yet to be completely defined.

An update to the ARX plan in my '97 Taurus.

Over the weekend I finished the 2k mile rinse phase. To give you a recap rather than read all the posts, I used a double dose for 1/2 the recommended mileage, and shortened the rinse phase to 2k miles; this plan was at the bequest of Gary and Frank. The plan was two bottles for 1k miles of application, then 2k miles of rinse phase, using recommended group III (PP) on application and group II (QS) on rinse.

The compression on cylinder 5 was the last lagging, and nagging, concern. While it did respond (coming from 110 psi to 150 psi) after the initial application, it never fully came up to 180 psi where the other five cylinders were restored to after that 1k mile application phase.

At 90k vehicle miles (just finisned rinse) the compression on cylinder #5 is now at 160 psi; it saw a 10 PSI improvement during rinse phase. For reference, the shop manual calls for all cylinders to be within 15 psi. Cylinder 5 is just shy of that; all others are essentially at 180 psi.

Because of the TREMENDOUS improvement in the other cylinders from the previous application, I have decided to do another application of ARX.
55.gif

My plan this time is to take the "conventional" approach. I have added one bottle of ARX at this OCI of more QS group II in 5w-30, using a Wix 51516 filter. I will run this for 2.5k miles, and then rinse with the same type oil for another 2.5k miles. I had such great success with ARX the first time that I see the opportunity to bring this last cylinder up with the rest. It is not unheard of to need a second application of ARX sometimes in extreme cases; my Taurus certainly qualifies for this as it was grossly overheated before my owning it.

Stan tuned. A word of caution is that it might take me some time to accumlate the next 5k miles. The weather is turning nice (finally), and my Goldwing gets about 38-40mpg, so the Taurus will often sit parked this summer.

Last edited:
Based on the lagging cylinder improving 10 psi, during the rinse phase, I would think the the single bottle run over 2500 miles has a very good chance of rehabbing that cylinder further. Keep us posted. Still a little chilly up your way for that Gold Wing isn't it?

The only change I would make in your current application is to run the rinse out for the full 3000 miles, as recommended in the application instructions over at ARX.

Regarding the Taurus rinse phase, I'll likely run it to 2.5k (which would put me at the even 95,000 vehicle miles) and then do a compression check with the rinse phase still in. If the compression seems to have peaked out, I'll probably OCI, if not, I'll finish the rinse phase.

I didn't mention it specifically, but my intent was to do compression checks at 1k mile intervals through the application and rinse phases, to see if I can put some data to where the actualy ARX work get's done. The last time, I actually had greater success during the application phase, but that might have been because of the double-dose, versus the shortened rinse phase. This time I'm going to apply the "suggested" application and rinse for equal mileage, and see if I can doccument where/how the progression of improvements occur.

Indiana at this time of year is ALWAYS changing regarding weather. But, it's getting to the point of being able to ride without the concern of frozen precipitation, and that's the main issue with a two-wheeled mode of transport! The Goldwing will be coming out of hibernation this week! At $3.40 a gallon, I'm riding to save money!

Last edited:
Doesn't everything need ARX???????????

Depends on just what kind of "experiment" we could cook up for my 'Wing!
LOL.gif

Last edited:
question about auto rx and my tacoma.. currently i have 107k miles and since i bought it at 52k miles its only had synthetics, mostly M1 and Synpower. it doesnt use oil or anything. how would i know to use auto rx or should i not worry about it until i get further miles on the vehicle since i have been using synthetics?? also if i were to use auto rx should i follow the instructions given or should i try this guys method of 2 bottles for 1k miles and the usual rinse phase?? of course i would use dino for application and rinse

mikeg5 - I believe you can certainly benefit from a one-bottle application in your Tacoma at your mileage. Follow the traditional application as recommended on the ARX site, and Rick20 indicated. I only did the two-bottle application as an experiment, in cooperation with Gary and Frank to see what results would come up. It is NOT the recommended route. It was a test.

I'm so confident of ARX and it's abilities that I'm doing a second application (traditional type) in my Taurus to see if it can clear up this last 15psi of compression I seek; I suspect it will.

I also use ARX in my other vehicles, in the engines and transmissions. My Taurus tranny AX4N is somewhat known as a problem child in some applications. I added ARX to it and it seems to shift a bit quicker and firmer. I experienced similar results putting ARX in my wife's Villager tranny (which is actually a Nissan engine/tranny combo).

Probably the four most tangible points of evidence that show ARX is working will be: cleanliness, oil consumption, compression restoration, and reduction/elimination of external leaks. You could possibly credit ARX with better fuel efficiency, but it's such a subjective issue to track; driving styles, environments, weather changes, traffic, etc all effect it so greatly that it's hard to make a direct comparision. Fuel efficiency improvement is typically inferred to improve as a result of compression restoration.

Both my engines were spotless inside, and they didn't leak any great amount of oil. Yet the compression restoration success ARX demonstrated on the Taurus was outstanding. If I had never checked the compression, I would not known of ARX's abilities, because the engines were clean and didn't leak. The compression in my Villager was already good, so the ARX had nothing to fix there. ARX can't fix what isn't wrong, but it can effect many problems with postive results if given the proper opportunity.

Give the ARX tradtional application a try; I suspect you'll be as impressed as I was. If you want to really KNOW if ARX works, take off the valve cover(s) and look at the cleanliness level before and after full application/rinse. Check compression pre and post use. Note your oil consumption and see if it changes. Check your driveway for leak cessation. You will very likely see an improvement in one, if not more, of these attributes with the use of ARX!

Last edited:
Is this for real? Do you get paid by the word or paragraph.
I will in no way ever believe this additive raised the compression ratio in damaged cylinders without a hone and new rings.
Absurd.

Yes stuck or sticking rings can cause lower compression without any significant bore or ring wear.
The loss of tension of the ring face to the bore is reduced and doesn't seal very well.

ARX does not do a very good job with this issue. Other products can safely achieve the same result in 30 min and over 1K clean the whole engine better than ARX can in a year and cost less than half the price.

The value for money is not there with this product.
I have tested ARX as much or more than most on this board.
We bought between us (my brother and i) at least 25 bottles and used it as many vehicles.
I even took some to Germany with me for dealer friends who were interested because of the VW issues at the time.
They would have been pleased if it worked as advertised and would 100% have bought case loads and even said as much.

They really needed a product that would help with the situation early on that would be turbo safe and not mess with the oil.
If this product worked as advertised it would be an amazing product. I wanted this product to deliver as much as anyone.

I got no results, my brother got no results and after a whole year the dealers in Germany got no results.
Their comment were not very flattering so i am happy i didn't have them pay for it instead of just giving to them.

IMHO If any other product performed as poorly as this one it would be quickly labelled "snake oil" by everyone here!

Edit: I am counting. My brother bought 10 at one go i bought 3 or 4 a few times and took 5 to Germany. So its about 25 give or take one or two if FM wants to check all at full retail!

Last edited by a moderator:
Clevy said:
Is this for real? Do you get paid by the word or paragraph. I will in no way ever believe this additive raised the compression ratio in damaged cylinders without a hone and new rings.
Absurd.

It is not absurd; it is factual.
I don't get paid by ARX, nor have I ever. The storyline (now nearly 5 years old) is detailed in this and the other thread. This was an experiment that was set up by our departed Gary Allan.

The loss of compression in my Taurus was not due to ring/cylinder damage; it was from rings coked up and not sealing well. ARX cannot replace/renew mechanical wear; that is true. But it surely can and will remove all manner of combustion byproducts, as my testament shows.

ARX cleans via a tri-ester formulation; it is essentially a specialized metal cleaner. Interestingly, there are folks who would detract from ARX, but this ester-cleaning formulation is mimicked (with different formula) in some synthetic lubes. Ironic that some would poo-poo the ability of ARX to clean with esters, but then tout how great syntehtics are at cleaning (often based with some portion of esters as well as other parts of the add-pack). ARX will never clean anything over a short duration; it is a methodical approach that one must use. And the rinse phase is every bit as important as the cleaning phase. ARX does not appeal to BITOGers often, because of our natural short-attention ADD mentality with lubes.

I've personally seen two great success stories with ARX. I've also seen some where there wasn't much gained. Improper application and/or rise will affect the result. And ARX cannot ever "repair" real damage; it can only clean a metal surface; it cannot restore physical damage (nor does it claim to).

The results and accompanying information in my posts here are real, and I stand by my factual representation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back