Looking for suggestions for 195/65-14 size tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is that this is becoming a difficult size to find and selection is very limited. I do want to stay with the stock size because the slightly tall tire matches up well with the overall suspension and handling on my car, which is an old E30 BMW 325i.

However, I would like to find a tire that is performance oriented in a balanced way. I am NOT looking for an extreme performance tire, but would like something that has a traction oriented design combined with good wear, noise and ride qualities.

BFG makes the Traction TA and the Touring TA - I have had the Touring TA and didn't particularly like them. I tend to prefer to stick with the premium names as the experiences I've had with "bargain" tires is that they are mediocre even when they get good reviews. I would however consider a re-branded or store brand tire.

With that I'll throw it open. Any ideas?

Thanks for the reply. I've tried Avids (H4) and was not impressed. I have heard many good things about the Traction TA and will probably use them if no better alternative comes up.

I actually have a very nice set of euro basketweaves on which I've been running 205/55-15s (BFG Touring TA), but I have not been happy with them. This car has relatively soft, long-travel suspension, and modern low profile tires are not a good match for it in my opinion. They are capable of overwhelming it on smooth dry roads (with chatter being the result in hard cornering), but give up some of the fluidity I like about the car on bumpy back roads. I also prefer the steering feel of the narrower, taller tires.

When lowered and stiffened, these cars have enough negative camber and control of wheel movement to use aggressive tires, but I prefer the stock configuration for my driving.

Glenn, if you already have the 15 inch wheels, then I'd suggest the Bridgestone Potenza G009 or the RE92.

An all-season will give you a good cold temperature rubber formula that will give a softer ride all around (given the temperature extremes in your area), and I've been pretty impressed with some of the higher performance Bridgestone tires. The difference between a 65 and a 55 profile tire is minimal. I suspect you're seeing the influence of sidewall stiffness playing against your dampers. You can also adjust your tire spring rate by lowering pressure a bit. A bit less pressure with a wider tire will help compensate.

FWIW, I haven't been impressed with BFGoodrich tires.

Last edited:
Glenn,

The other possibility is to go to a 195/60-15 tire on your 15" rims. Rolling radius is almost identical to the 195/65-14, but your choice of tires opens way up to tires like the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position

That's interesting. Another approved size is 195/60-14. Quite a variance. What wheel width on yours?

I do want to keep my speedo accurate - which it is now, or at least it's very close.

assuming that the standard tire size for the speedometer is 185/65-14 then:

195/60-14 will read about 3.6% faster (72.5 mph @ 70 mph)

205/50-15 will read about 3% slower (68 mph @ 70 mph)

205/55-15 will read about the same as 195/65-14

205/65-15 will read about 4.4% slower (67 mph @ 70 mph)

195/60-15 will read about 1% slower (69 mph @ 70 mph)

I calculated these based on the tire revolution per mile specs.

Last edited:
Thanks. Another option by the way is 205/60-14, although again there are not that many in that size.

I'm finding a lot of off-brand tires in this size but it's very hard to get any sort of idea how to evaluate the options. For example how would a General Altimax RT compare with a Hankook Optimo H418? Without some sort of testing or review it's impossible to tell.

Originally Posted By: glennc
That's interesting. Another approved size is 195/60-14. Quite a variance. What wheel width on yours?

15x6.

BTW, re-reading my post...it didn't come standard that size, it came into my possession that size.

Originally Posted By: RI_RS4
assuming that the standard tire size for the speedometer is 185/65-14 then:

195/60-14 will read about 3.6% faster (72.5 mph @ 70 mph)

205/50-15 will read about 3% slower (68 mph @ 70 mph)

205/55-15 will read about the same as 195/65-14

205/65-15 will read about 4.4% slower (67 mph @ 70 mph)

195/60-15 will read about 1% slower (69 mph @ 70 mph)

I calculated these based on the tire revolution per mile specs.

I meant to say 195/65-14, not 185/65-14

Some options available in the stock size appear to be:

Kuhmo Solus KR21
Cooper Lifeliner Touring SLE
General Altimax RT
Michelin Harmony

The last is sold as a straight passenger-car tire, not a touring or performance tire, but Tire Rack tested it and gave it similar ratings for overall (road/track) performance.

The other three appear to be sold as "touring" tires, which should be exactly what I'm looking for: an all-around performance orientation with good noise/ride/wear characteristics.

The Michelin costs twice as much but would probably last longer and be less likely to experience problems during its lifespan, based on my prior experience. Balance issues, belt issues, wear issues, that sort of thing.

Does anybody have experience with any of these tires?

ugh, just pulled the 14" basketweaves out of the garage, swapping them for the winter tires which Ive left on my 91 E30 for a bit too long.

I have falken ziex ze-512 tires, which I cant say are really that bad at all for the generalcommuting that I use the car for.

That said, the falkens have had one sidewall bubble, and the sidewalls on all the others (bought winter 2004) are not only brown, but cracked around the lettering, indicating degradation of the rubber. The tires have >30k miles on them, and have been wearing great, probably >75% of the tread left.

Thing is, Im not sure that I trust the falken brand anymore. Were rated great when I first got them, but Im unsure now.

Traction T/A H rated was what I was thinking of, but Ive heard that their RR is higher, and so FE drops... Dont really desire that.

So Im seeing the falken ziex ze-912... Unsure if it is a newer design, again, not that I disliked the 512s, but IMO there were a few issues that make me wary of re-purchasing them, when the time comes.

My other thought is to spend $599 on a set of Ronal LS, and then put 195/60r-15 tires, which are about the exact same size. That opens my options up, at least a bit. Id rather stay away from the 205 or wider size, if I can... but with the 15" wheels, I have more flexibility.

So its a tough situation. I always have the 195/60r-14 size to fall back on, and that is what Integras and other cars take, so there are more options, but it just doesnt look right on the E30 (when I bought mine, it had 195/60r-14 tires on it).

Its a tough call... Good luck,

JMH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back