2003 Kia Sedona 3.5L oil recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon

Just bought a used one w/low miles (14K).

I routinely use Amsoil, Mobil-1, Delo (regular and Delo), Havoline, and others. My wife's 2002 Accord V6 gets (I think) Penn. 5W-20 and loves it (I'll put up the numbers soon, they are very low). The 3.5L in the Sedona is rumoured to be derived from the 3.5L in the Mitsu. Montero, but is slightly different in addition to being FWD. The 3.5 is the same as a few of the other Hyundai/Kia 3.5's.

I really like the vehicle and want the engine to last a long time. With the digits in the teens and single digits (F) last night, I'm wondering what *YOU* would run in it. I have no problem running a good "conventional" oil with a monster additive package (like Delo, etc...) but with it getting colder a syn. is making some sense.

Kia seems to recommend some strange oil weights, with them recommending 10W-40 for most things, and 5W-30 below 40F. It's got 5W-30 Castrol GTX (haven't changed the oil from the previous owner) in it now.

Ive read that hondas really like high moly doses, so pennzoil seems a good choice. Pennzoil is an excellent oil choice in general,at least it was before shell got really involved; cant comment about the latest oils.

Butthat said, Id be confident using pennzoil in the kia, and M1, or supertech group III if you want a synthetic.

JMH

Mobil 1 5w-30 with a Purolator Premium Plus filter. Should work very well with a 5k change interval. You could even go longer but perhaps not in a cold winter climate such as your area.

I"m johnthekoreancarguy.com
but I know alot about korean automobiles.

The the only thing derived from Mitsubishi in there 3.5L is the cast iron Engine block.. the valve heads etc.. are all Hyundai.. although, they are a little similiar in design. also its built by Hyundai. yes, its the same engine has the XG350, Amanti, Sorento, sedona .

quote:

Originally posted by Jon:

I really like the vehicle and want the engine to last a long time. With the digits in the teens and single digits (F) last night, I'm wondering what *YOU* would run in it. I have no problem running a good "conventional" oil with a monster additive package (like Delo, etc...) but with it getting colder a syn. is making some sense.

Amsoil 0w30 in both vehicles, change filters at 6 months change oil once a year. I belive the honda has 10K oil drains as well.

0w30 would make perfect sense in WI

Well, I certainly appreciate everybody's advice.
I'm going to start out like this:

15K miles is coming up soon, and at that time, we'll have the 15K service done at the dealer, which includes a drain and refill of the tranny, O/C, etc... I'll probably use either Havoline or Amsoil 5W-30 (I a case of one and a half-case of the other and at 3K miles I'll have Terry do an analysis and go from there. Alternatively, I'll just let them put in whatever they use (unless I don't like what they use) and do an auto-rx set, and *then* move to analyzing the oil, but with the few miles my wife will put on the vehicle, it'll be a while.

In fact, what oils would you recommend for 3K oil changes but LONG time intervals?

If 10W-40 is what Kia recommends, maybe M1 0W-40 or that new 5W-40 might be good?

The 0W-40 has a special 'long life' spec...I reckon it would be good for however long it took you to go 3K (like 2 years).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back