Ethos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quest
and there are tonnes more if you search carefully.

Don't see people use the metric ton very often.

My rather generalised observation as follows:

(a) conspiracy theorists thought that they can make their automobiles do 100+miles/gal by defying laws of physics, thermaldynamics, etc. Also they always claim that the big-3 and many others are behind in the conspiracy of making inefficient automobiles, vehicles that would fail prematurely(so that consumers have to repurchase vehicles on a regular basis for profits, in the name of "planned obsolescence"). Never did they realise that in order to meet the rather stringent EPA and many safety standards imposted to automobiles sold and serviced in NA, the weight and the emissions control is what really keeps the fuel efficiency from progressing in a significant pace than the rest of the world.

(b)conspiracy theorists blamed inferior gasoline quality. While some of these maybe true, but don't forget that modern automobile pump gas is blended to meet specific emissions and industry standards to keep EFI engined vehicles running nicely, and still be able to keep the old, 15+yr old carb'ed vehicles running also. High detergency and able to maintain cleanliness, amongst a few other things is what makes pump gas what it is now (and there's no way backyard mechanics can dope the pump gas to raise BTUs in the name of raising fuel economy, at least not economically-feasible)

(c)automakers are like avg joes nowadays: despersately looking for things/gadgets/technologies to help improve/increase fuel economy. Do you know how much $$$ has been spent in their R&D dept in constantly improving fuel economy (like engine power output, lowers emissions, etc.) while still in-compliance with the ever stringent CAFE and emissions standards? If they can find a gadget that can significantly improves fuel economy like all these said gadgets out in the market, they would buy out that technology at the blink of an eye and put that technology in good use right away)

(d) infomercials prey on the sheer laziness/sillyness of consumers in the market, with bizarre claims of outrageous, out-of-this-world fuel economy improvements that never seen in the automotive world: from things like resistor add-on mod, to turbinator in the air intake side, to fuel molecule structural modifiers and fuel magnets and what-not.

They typically prey on customers with things like "reducing friction to an extreme that never been heard in this world, thus improving fuel economy...." (some add-into-crankcase additive stuff), to things like "modifying the fuel molecules to burn cleaner"....yadda yadda...

Infomercials and gadget makers also take the risk of challenging avj joes as far as proving them gadgets to be worthy/working or not due to the fact that (a)they know that not that many consumers would return the unit for full refund, one way or another; (b) it takes lots of time, effort and $$ for a research-quality body to test and prove that the said gadgets/additives/add-ons are not doing what they claimed, in a controlled, repeatable fashion.

These are the risks they are taking on and it's been like that for many decades, thus the term "snake oil"...and "snake oil vendors".

Yes indeed it's very difficult for typical avg joe consumers to prove that these are not working per advertisements due to lack of scientific knowledge, discipline or research-quality controlled environment to replicate/test these devices and add-ons (costs lots of mullahs and time too), it's usually up to some fair trade boards such as FTC to come on board and screen these devices out.

However, there are lots of things that avj joe can perform to maximise their vehicle's fuel economy:

-check and properly inflate their tires.
-maintain proper tuneups and servicing of their vehicles
-keep all the unnecessary loads (garbage in their trunk, etc.) to a bare minimum
-practice sensible driving pattern (no unnecessary jackrabbits from redlights, speeding, sudden acceleration, plan your chore runs accordingly and do them in 1 run, etc.)
-slim down the weight of the car (time to take on some aerobics lesson to shed some body weight?)

I bet ya avg joe does not need to spend that extra couple of hundred mullahs on gadgets in order to get significant fuel economy improvements on their vehicles.

My 2c's worth and I'm sticking to it.

Q.

p.s. if anyone can financially support me with proper fundings and such, I can most certainly take on the challenge of testing these said gadgets and devices in a controlled environment, and with research-quality reports.

Originally Posted By: gomes512
I don't understand why the stuff needs to be added to the crankcase?

Ethos is comprised of synthetic esters in a light mineral oil base. If nothing else the mineral oil will reduce the viscosity / friction of the oil in the engine. I've not seen any data to support that being a good idea long term.

Strange. I did the search again using Ethos in subject and body, search all forums, and older than 1 day. Still doesn't reveal anything - not even this thread! Wish I knoew what I was doing wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back