Firestone Destination ->LE<- ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see folks are pleased with the Destination AT's in a previous post, but what about the Destination LE's? I have a Mazda Tribute FWD that sees 100% pavement. We don't get the killer snows along the coast anymore, and the roads are salted to a inch of their life. Anyone run the LE's?

Wonder if noise/ride quality/ wet-dry traction are better than the AT's for all-season highway use.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Destination+LE

Drew

I currently run them on my Silverado and have about 10k miles on them. Very little wear, and they ride great. I will buy these again.

I had them on my 99 S-10 and presently on an 01 Jeep GC. I think they are one of the best tires for the money. Light years ahead of the Goodyears they replaced. I would certainly buy them again.

I put them on a Ford explorer and were very happy with them. They replaced the factory BF Goodrich tires. They were a noticeable improvement.

Originally Posted By: mikeg5
look em up.. tiretrack.com

I did....hence the link in my first post. Was looking for more input from "car guys" here, rather than from the "average" motorist's "the new tires feel better than the old ones with 85000 miles" stuff.
wink.gif

Drew

Originally Posted By: Drew2000
Originally Posted By: mikeg5
look em up.. tiretrack.com

I did....hence the link in my first post. Was looking for more input from "car guys" here, rather than from the "average" motorist's "the new tires feel better than the old ones with 85000 miles" stuff.
wink.gif

Drew

LOL sorry i didnt read all of your post.. i am bad about that.. yeah i hear good things about it..

I have a set on my truck. I forget how long its been but they have been good.

I use to have wrangler ATs if I remember right. The road noise went done considerably with the switch. Though this is to be expected becuase I switched from ATs. The second was that I couldn't break these things free, with out really trying(though this might not be saying much as its 13 year old truck with a 305). Anyways with the ATs I had a bit of a problem at stop lights and spinning my tires when the roads where wet. This has practically vanished with the dest le.

Last edited:
I wanted to get a set last year for my Expy (265/70-17), but the current tires had just too much tread left on them to justify changing tires. They were $103/each at that time and that was a good deal. Now that I need the new rubber, I find that they're now $128/each. OUCH...

I have them on a 4x4 Chevrolet 1500 pickup. I am on my third set with about half the tread remaining. At 185,000 miles I have not found another tire that handles as well. My next set will be Firestone Destination LE tires as well.

I have them on a 1/2 ton suburban. I went 66,000 miles with the original Goodyear Wranglers. Tough to fairly compare tires with 66K on them driven into the shop and brand new tires with zero miles driven out of the shop, but after about 5K miles I have nothing but good things to say about the Destination LE. I do zero off roading, and snow around here in Knoxville is rare.

I have a set on my FWD Escape and love 'em. They have about 33K on 'em and are wearing quite well. They're quiet, handle well, hold a balance well and rarely need air. When the time comes I'll get another set.

My current Ranger has these (old Ranger & Explorer had the A/T version). They are decent tires. I can't speak for wear yet since they only have 5,000 miles or so on them, but they seem to be doing fine so far.

Traction, especially in wet weather is very good. This truck could always break the tires loose with its last two sets, but these grip a lot better. We had a lot of heavy rain recently and they were just fine.

I think for an all season, these could maybe be a little quieter, but they are not loud or anything. Rangers don't have that much noise insulation anyway.

Drew,
While discussing the Kumho KH-21 tires with the tirerack rep over the phone, he told me that the best "bang for the buck" tire for my application would be the Firestone Destination LE. Although reading through the reviews of those with my vehicle(RX-300/Highlander), Im still choosing the Kumho's. My point is; the Destination LE's are probably perfect for your application. Many of my friends that I have talked to over the years who are using Firestone Destination LE, AT or what ever, have liked them very much.

I LOVE this tire!
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Put a set on my 07 Silverado 4WD to replace the loud, rough riding, poor traction, short tread life, bad for MPG Junkyear Wrangler AT/S OE tires and they were 1 million times better. They handled the bad winter we had this year like a champ. I hardly ever had to use 4WD even in the worst of weather. Also towed my boat all duck season( into Jan )and never had a bit of trouble on the icy ramps. GREAT tire.

Sold the truck in late Jan and downsized due to gas prices and some personal financial issues. Bought a 2008 GM AWD SUV that came with the LE's stock. They performed every bit as well on the SUV as they did the truck. I actually had to TRY and make the vehicle break loose and slide. It is not easy to do. LIke a little tank with these tires on.

I honestly can say they are as good as the best AT's I have ever bought in the snow. On wet roads they are also top notch. Not very noisey, decent ride quality, and they wear very well. Another huge pro to the list is they are very affordable compared to the competition. I saw a 2 MPG( I swear to the lord above! )jump vs the OE GY AT's on the truck. That was going from an AT to an AS however. You won't see it going from an AS to an AS.

Buy them and you will be happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the input everyone! I'm pretty much decided on either the Destination LE's or the Bridegstone H/L Alenza's. Just wonnder if the Alenza's are worth an extra $200. Probably will wait a month or so and use the Fed's "rebate" check.

Drew

Originally Posted By: Drew2000
Thanks for the input everyone! I'm pretty much decided on either the Destination LE's or the Bridegstone H/L Alenza's. Just wonnder if the Alenza's are worth an extra $200. Probably will wait a month or so and use the Fed's "rebate" check.

Drew

Well, if it is any influence on your decision Bridgestone is running their annual Spring Rebate promotion. If you buy a set of 4 Alenza's you will get a $100 prepaid AMEX card.

The rebate form says the promotion is running April 13-May 10. However, the rebate form also has a little note that says only purchases made from April 20-May 10 qualify? Kind of odd if you ask me. I am sure the tire dealer could explain for you. I do not see any promotions right now for Firestone. When they do run them usually you see $50 or $75 for a set of 4 LE's.

http://www.bridgestonetire.com/images/universal_images/hp_banners/Spring_Promo.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back