Mazda OEM M5 ATF......

Status
Not open for further replies.

I can't find much info about Idemitsu lubricants, let alone the MSDS of this ATF. I do know that it contains oils "72623-84-8" and "72623-86-0". Does that mean anything to anyone else?

This ATF was $4.24/qt at my dealership. I hope to do a VOA on this when I also take a sample from my FNR5 ATX soon.

Compare your VOA to Ford Mercon V, I think that's the same as Mazda M5 ATF.

good to know.
do you know which trannies take FNR5 (M5) and which take Mercon V?

Originally Posted By: gtx510
good to know.
do you know which trannies take FNR5 (M5) and which take Mercon V?

The "FNR5" is "the" tranny. Only the FNR5 transmission takes the FNR5 fluid. There are two fluids apparently, Mazda OEM Value Product M5 ATF, and the Motorcraft's "FNR5 ATF".

The FNR5 ATX is a 5spd found in the 2.3L Mazda6, 2.3L Ford Fusion, 2.3L Mazda3, and 2.3L Mercury Milan.

Quote:
I do know that it contains oils "72623-84-8" and "72623-86-0". Does that mean anything to anyone else?

Appears to be GrpII-ish base oils, but not sure.

Selective basestocks and additive for the very long maintenance intervals. Kinda hopeless since 100's of Mazda's experience issues easily prevented with ATF changes and other improvements(big one being an ATF cooler to keep from cooking the not so long lasting ATF).

Its Jatco ATF. The Mazda M5 ATF and Ford FNR5 ATF are the same fluid.
This is not a Mercon-V ATF. From what I remember, the MerconV doesn't have the anti-shudder(JASO) and oxidative durability of the Jatco spec. MerconV is a good fluid to use if you plan on regular pan plug drain/refill intervals(~10k). Stick with OE or a full synthetic upgrade for longer intervals.

A VOA won't really show much difference compared to any other ATF. It will be similar to the Subaru/Nissan and euro sourced(VW, Jaguar) Jatco fluids. The difference between the fluids is OE requirements above Jatco, for example full synthetic for lifetime fill vs. mineral/blend for OCI intervals...

Are you sure about the Jatco ATF? I thought they took T-IV? Also, this is not a Jatco transmission. The mazda5 spec is a new spec for the FNR5 transmission. I have a hard time grouping Jatco with Mazda and Ford since it is a transmission jatco has nothing to do with and it is a custom fluid specification.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Originally Posted By: unDummy
The Aisin unit takes the T-IV. The AW unit is the 6-speed-auto-V6 Mazda6s combo. The 4/5 speed Mazda6 and Mazda3 are Jatcos. This is no different from Ford's platform clones. So, start grouping Jatco with Ford/Mazda!

Custom fluid? Don't kid yourself.

http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/supplier/msds/us175125us.pdf

Here's the AW ATF:
http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.co...mission%20Fluid

I hate to say you're wrong, but the FNR5 5spd ATX (6,3,fusion,milan) is not a jatco transmission. Check the jatco website. The FNR5 was a mazda design done in house. The mazda 5 spec was made for the FNR5 transmission.

And I was the first to link the Motorcraft FNR5 ATF MSDS on this website. I know full well what it is. And yes, it is a specific fluid made only for the FNR5 transmission. It meets no other specs.

You are correct about the 4spd ATX, though, in the mazdas.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
And, who built/licensed it for Mazda?

The FNR5 is made by Mazda. Mazda's fluid is bottled by Idemitsu, a Japanese formulator. Neither one have anything to do with Ford or Jatco.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back