Which TB cleaner won't hurt the MAF sensor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PT1

I'm doing the spring maintenance and wondered if there is a TB spray cleaner that won't hurt the MAF sensor? Any recommendations?

I don't think any throttle body cleaner will hurt the maf sensor, you spray the throttle body, not the maf, or the intake hose.
i'd be more concerned about 02 sensors and stuff- all throttle body cleaners are sensor safe so you have nothing to worry about.

Well put.
thumbsup2.gif

If you do ever feel like cleaning the MAF sensor you can use either CRC QD Electronics parts cleaner or their MAF cleaner both have the exact same chemical make up and are totally safe if used as instructed.

When I clean my throttle body I remove it from the intake manifold, remove the sensors from it and clean it top and bottom with q-tips, a shop rag and an old toothbrush and lots of carb/tb cleaner. This also gives me an opportunity to gently clean the end of the pintle on my idle air control sensor. I lubricate the shaft that holds the throttle plates and the outer spring with spray silicone. Then I reinstall it with a new gasket. FWIW my truck has no MAF sensor, but it does have a manifold air pressure sensor, throttle position sensor and idle air control sensor mounted to it. I use the house brand AAP cleaner or brand name if it's on sale, but there are cleaners like CRC available that are MAF safe.

Amsoil used to have thisstuff called Power Foam that worked great! I would use that and add a bottle of PI to your fuel tank.

A reusable harbor freight aerosol can ($8), and some technical grade acetone work wonders for all my upper end cleaning needs. I do recommend not messing with the MAF unless you see it is dirty. Just take the intake duct off the throttle body and have at it. Acetone is nice because it rips carbon to shreds, but is quite volatile leaving no residue behind. Spray it on wipe/brush what you can with the butterfly open or TB taken off the vehicle. Wait 5 minutes and reassemble/close up. Avoid open flames and/or soaking any gaskets with the acetone though!! My intake air temperature sensor gasket swelled up twice it's size almost instantly (not good) so be careful. I have never used that Powerfoam product but it sounds interesting.

Last edited:
Acetone is way too agressive on plastic parts. I'd stay away from it.

I use gasoline to clean the throttle body. I can't imagine any auto manufacturer to use a material on the intake system that is not compatible with gasoline.

I would not try that; there's a diaphragm inside and you can't be sure you got it all.

I tried it once and did not cure what I was after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back