Shell Helix' answer to Additives

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think GM chose Mobil 1 because ExxonMobil gave GM a big financial incentive. How much do you think it cost for Shell or ExxonMobil to have their brand names on the Formula 1 cars.

Originally Posted By: buster

Take a look at Honda's HTO-06 turbo spec and oil comparison. Only two oils passed, initially just Mobil 1. PP now meets HTO-06. No other retail synthetic passed.

Did we really have to bring THAT Honda spec back into this buster?!?
48.gif

I get what you're saying though. I just have a hard time grasping that Shell, or any of them for that matter, are really going to put out such a product so as to elimate the need for additives of any sort in the finished lubricant. Today's oils do however, make yesteryear's oils look like chocolate fudge factories.

Still, it is an interesting concept to ponder, isn't it...

Originally Posted By: yummy88
I think GM chose Mobil 1 because ExxonMobil gave GM a big financial incentive. How much do you think it cost for Shell or ExxonMobil to have their brand names on the Formula 1 cars.

False. That is what most think. Not true.

I bring up the HTO-06 because it's Honda. I think Honda is an outstanding engine maker and I value their opinion. Turbo's are demanding on oil more than anything else and it was interesting to know that they compared all available oils on the shelf, Honda chose Mobil 1. There was no secret back door deal IMO. Other oils do pass this test, PP being the other one. Amsoil/RL would also I'm sure.

M1 is a quality oil, just not the best.

I think GM chose M1 because it saved them the collective cost of replacing engines under warranty. Chrysler had the same issue with the viper when it came to market initially(catastrophic engine failure), thats why M1 is factory fill and recommended. Nothing to do with marketing or Formula 1. Profit/Loss affects year end bonuses!

Hi,
buster/lewk - You are correct. Sometimes vehicle/component manufacturers "mask" their design shortcomings by mandating special lubricants based on Warranty experience

The lubricants are especially formulated to mask the issue and they do it very well in most cases. In the meantine downstream modifications take effect that are "seamless" in many cases

I won't provide names but some Japanese manufacturers are not immune to this concept either!!

It has been happening for decades!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
buster/lewk - You are correct. Sometimes vehicle/component manufacturers "mask" their design shortcomings by mandating special lubricants based on Warranty experience

The lubricants are especially formulated to mask the issue and they do it very well in most cases. In the meantine downstream modifications take effect that are "seamless" in many cases

I won't provide names but some Japanese manufacturers are not immune to this concept either!!

Doug,

Glad you said that!

IMO, VW's 505.01 specification for the TDI may be just such an animal.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,

Now why doesn't this suprise me in the least about the system...

Well, we can extrapolate from that then Honda engines require a healthy dose of moly in their early stages, as factory fill based on the VOA's here state that fact.

IIRC, doesn't that TDI engine have fuel dilution issues, as per RI_RS4's Audi.

Wonder what Toyota's issues are...

The Shell Ultra Helix 5W-40 data on the Norwegian site are exactly the same as those for Quaker State Q Horsepower 5W-40. The Shell is not readily available in the U.S. unless you go to a Ferrari dealer, but the QS should have wider distribution. Unfortunately I've not yet found the Q Horsepower in 5W-40 on my island.

Originally Posted By: mckennaiii
Is Shell Helix available in the U.S. market?

The short answer is no. You CAN find it at any Ferrari dealer, but be prepared to pay $19 per quart! No kidding. There are a few independent Ferrari repair shops that import it, or get it from Shell distributors, but still expect to pay $15 or more per quart. Not worth it...nothing special about it...and it is hard to read the dip stick, as the stuff foams like crazy...what is up with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back