Mobil Rarus 427/Equivalent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 5hp single stage Eaton Compressor putting out 20cfm@90psi with a slow turning pump sped of around 600rpm. They call for mobil Rarus 427 which I believe is a 30 weight oil, correct? Synthetic or Dino? Are there any better alternatives? My biggest thing is that this compressor gets weekend use in a wide temperature range with long drain intervals. Should I continue using this or is there a better synthetic alternative?

Thanks
Jim

I personally will STAY AWAY from Mobil Rarus because of too much wax in the oil! In the application I had, the wax migrated out and into the refrigerated dryer which subsequently clogged badly and had to be replaced. There were also some other compressors that had startup problems in winter temps using Rarus.
Full synthetic is the way to go as far as I'm concerned.
It provides good flow in the winter, (oil with wax in it does not), there are no wax migration issues, and you can run it for extended periods without having to worry about accellerated wear.
WW Grainger has a synthetic that I've been satisfied with in the past, nowadays I use the Amsoil line of products and am equally satisfied.
Hope this helps
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back