Another ZDDP Question. or rather an observation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone. I've restored a couple of classic motorcycles and am thinking about moving on to doing a 60's or 70's Chevelle, Corvette, Charger etc... Anyway, I've been cruising all the classic car forums and there's always a couple of forums regarding ZDDP for the flat tappet cams etc.... It always boils down to find a CI-4 diesel oil like Delo 15-40 or Rotella etc..... Then someone will just say use a regular oil and add ZDDP in the form of EOS, STP red bottle etc...

My question I guess to anyone reading is why doesn't a oil company just go ahead and make a line of dino oils and synthetic oil with the .12-.13 amount of zinc and phosphourous that everyone is asking for in grades like 10-30, 10-40, 20-50 ? It seems like it would be easy enough. Everyone in the classic car (engine) world would be happy, and it would put an end to the tons of threads out there where everyone is discussing this.

Just wondering. Seems pretty easy.

""My question I guess to anyone reading is why doesn't a oil company just go ahead and make a line of dino oils and synthetic oil with the .12-.13 amount of zinc and phosphourous that everyone is asking for in grades like 10-30, 10-40, 20-50 ?""

They do its just you have to go smaller or "boutique" companies or look for older stuff.

I make SL but is for larger volumes. Shelf space and marketing etc make the old oils fade away BUT Redline, Royal purple etc will and do still make the "ggod" stuff.

That and some repacked ZDDP has come on the market.

Its still around as most sites say look for older diesel CI-4 spec oil.
bruce

Originally Posted By: austin273755
My question I guess to anyone reading is why doesn't a oil company just go ahead and make a line of dino oils and synthetic oil with the .12-.13 amount of zinc and phosphourous that everyone is asking for in grades like 10-30, 10-40, 20-50 ?

Mobil 1 15w-50 is recommended for flat-tappet and high performance engines and claims an honest 1200 ppm zinc level. Moreover, it's versatile viscosity covers a wide range of operating conditions.

On the coventional side there are still a few off the shelf HDEO oils to meet the needs of hi-perf motors and they can be further boosted with GM E.O.S. if needed.
Keep in mind, GM E.O.S. is not a new product, it has been used for a long time, even when regular passenger car motor oils were loaded with ZDDP.

Originally Posted By: austin273755

My question I guess to anyone reading is why doesn't a oil company just go ahead and make a line of dino oils and synthetic oil with the .12-.13 amount of zinc and phosphourous that everyone is asking for in grades like 10-30, 10-40, 20-50 ? It seems like it would be easy enough. Everyone in the classic car (engine) world would be happy, and it would put an end to the tons of threads out there where everyone is discussing this.

Just wondering. Seems pretty easy.

Amsoil has made such synthetic oils for 25+ years.

FYI: I've been running NAPA 15W40 "diesel" dino oil in my Mopar big block engine. This year (cruise season) I'll be running Chevron Delo 400 Synthetic 5W40. Zinc is rated at or above 1500 ppm, viscosity high 14's. Cost of that oil is reasonable. This oil has all my engine needs and more.

Originally Posted By: gunny1
FYI: I've been running NAPA 15W40 "diesel" dino oil in my Mopar big block engine. This year (cruise season) I'll be running Chevron Delo 400 Synthetic 5W40. Zinc is rated at or above 1500 ppm, viscosity high 14's. Cost of that oil is reasonable. This oil has all my engine needs and more.

That is what I have been running...UOA to follow in the coming weeks. I did notice that on the current PDF for Delo 5W40 it states a viscoisty of 15.6. Maybe yours is from a virgin UOA?

Originally Posted By: D-Roc
Originally Posted By: gunny1

That is what I have been running...UOA to follow in the coming weeks. I did notice that on the current PDF for Delo 5W40 it states a viscoisty of 15.6. Maybe yours is from a virgin UOA?

14's vs 15.6: I was going off memory, which is always a scary situation. But, per Chevron's web site and you, 15.6 viscosity is correct. Zinc is 15.1 ppm :)

This should be a really good oil for the engine I'm running in my 1965 Coronet. Especially when on highways turning 3,200 to 3,500 RPM's for long distances. Rather low gears.

As stated M1 15W50 silver cap is pretty well established for those needs. There are still some hard feelings about the reformulation a while back but most think the silver cap is good to go. Castrol is trying to make a run at this market as well with their classic car Syntec 20W50.

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/genericarticle.do?categoryId=82915470&contentId=7032644

Of course Red line Royal Purple and co. have good products for these applications. But M1 at $22 per 5 Qt. jug is hard to beat price wise. I have not seen the Syntec Classic on the shelf yet but I'm curious how they will price it.

Brad Penn Penn Grade 1 "The Green Oil" partial-synthetic oil will serve you nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back