Toyota "sludge" engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My parents want to buy a NEW 2008 Toy. Sienna mini van. I think the problem v-6 is the 1M2 from around year 2000. Has Toyota redeisgned this engine, so that it does not make "crankcase jello"? Has Toyota quality decreased?

Originally Posted By: junebug
Has Toyota quality decreased?

28.gif
35.gif

Yes As a multiple model and year owner ,Yes Toyota quality has decreased . Still way better than some other manufactures though. Change the oil at the recommended interval.

The engine in the present Sienna, the 3.5L V-6 known as the 2GR-FE is a totally different design than the earlier 3.0L V-6 that had sludge issues during a few of the earlier years if its use. That was the 1MZ-FE engine. The MZ series V-6s are almost gone now. They do live on in the form of the 3.3L 3MZ-FE found in the Solara coupe (and a special version soldiers on in the hybrid version of the new Hybrid Highlander and Lexus RX hybrid). The 1MZ engine, which had the sludge issues for a couple model years, is long out of production.

I had a scare about this when I bought my 2001 Toyota Camry (Solara) with 4-cyl engine.

In a nutshell: there were only a few new engines that had minor visual sludge problems....and those were becasue of owners NOT frequently changing their oil enough. Basically, some of those engine designs Toyota had in the late 90's / early 2000 models was that the engine head (made of aluminium alloy) had designed small water jackets inside that head; thus causing a restriction of coolant inside the head. Less coolant, more engine heat on top.

Think of an engine head just like a griddle at a diner: They get hot, and old oil would build up on top of the inside & cook.....just sitting there.

If you let the griddle cool down at the end of the night, and never keep it clean, you will get a build-up of grease on top. Just like sludge that has built up.

Solution? Do frequent oil changes & there won't be a problem. I'm no super mechanic, but that's my 2 cents.

GL

Originally Posted By: Greg L
In a nutshell: there were only a few new engines that had minor visual sludge problems....and those were becasue of owners NOT frequently changing their oil enough.

Umm, no.
99 Sienna 3300 miles M1 5w-30, oil is mostly shot

I changed the oil frequently as did others who experienced the same problem.

Quote:

Basically, some of those engine designs Toyota had in the late 90's / early 2000 models was that the engine head (made of aluminium alloy) had designed small water jackets inside that head; thus causing a restriction of coolant inside the head. Less coolant, more engine heat on top.

...and a PCV system made to achieve ULEV status. It was made to burn hotter, then shoe-horned into an engine bay that did not dissipate heat as well as other models. AND add factory suggested 7500 miles OCIs...As a result it coked the oil easier.

I'm glad this is all behind Toyota now. The 3.5L is a much better design IMO.

I was just wondering what problems as of late have contributed to the decrease in quality? I heard that the Tundras at one time had problems with the front end, but haven't much outside of that. Can you provide some insight here?

Originally Posted By: Saturn_Fan
I was just wondering what problems as of late have contributed to the decrease in quality? I heard that the Tundras at one time had problems with the front end, but haven't much outside of that. Can you provide some insight here?

The new Tundras have been in the spot light a lot. Some have had camshaft failures, tailgate failures, and transmission issues. Toyota has been pretty good about fixing the problems, but it still doesn't look good. Previous generation Tundras were known for brake problems.

Also, Camrys have had a shift flare problem that is pretty well known. I can't remember if they developed a fix for it or not.

Other models have had smaller issues. Cab leaks on Tacomas, cracked composite beds on Tacomas, etc.

Toyota has acknowledged that quality isn't what it used to be. They have been growing very fast and this stuff happens when you build that many cars.

Toyota&Saturn -

Actually, I got that information form Toyota of America in the mail. They sent me a letter explaining what the problem was and for what years.

This letter was also a statement for service to be redeemed at my local Toyota dealer to service my car, based on these problems.

I inspected my engine & saw there were no problems, so I didn't bother.

Just info straight from the factory.....I didn't make it up.

GL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back