Royal Purple 5W20, 3000 miles, 2005 Ford F150 5.4L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TreyB
How do I just put the document into my thread?

It will be faster to type it or copy from another thread and then type your numbers in, but you can go to photobucket or another photo hosting site, log in and upload the photo. Then copy the URL of that photo and paste it into your post using the paste image button above, third from the left as you are typing in the box. Preview the post to see if it worked.

Remember if you ever delete that photo off of photobucket or another image hosting site, it will be deleted everywhere including on this forum.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: badtlc
Anything less than 10k is a waste for this oil.

Are you guys seeing the UOA here? I don't see anything.

No, I don't think anyone besides the O.P. can see the UOA.

Any oil will or should look good at 3,000 miles. At low mile oil change intervals syn oils are a complete waste of money.

If the Royal Purple base number starts at 14 but after 3,000 miles it is down to 3.2 according to my analysis, isn't that a pretty significant loss from the original?

Why don't you try posting the analysis so everyone can see. The link you posted requires us to log in, and we don't have a username or password. Like others have said previously in this thread, type the results in, or post an image of the results somewhere so we can see it. Check other analyses to see how they did it and repeat. Otherwise we won't have any comments for you because we can't see your analysis.

Originally Posted By: TreyB
If the Royal Purple base number starts at 14 but after 3,000 miles it is down to 3.2 according to my analysis, isn't that a pretty significant loss from the original?

not good at all, not surprising though. maybe it will stay at 3.2 for the next 7K but I highly doubt it

TREY: Your sample technique was fine. You've got a very nicely wearing engine at 33,000 miles. Universal averages
show typical wear from the Ford 5.4L engine after a 5500-mile oil change. This oil was in service for 3000 miles when
this sample was taken, and all of the wear metals read around average levels. The TBN was 3.2, still active additive left
in the oil, so you can continue to use it. We'd suggest adding another 2500 miles and then resampling to monitor. No
water, fuel, or antifreeze found. Check back to establish engine wear trends. This looks like a terrific engine!

MI/HR on Oil 3,000
MI/HR on Unit 33,000
Make-up Oil Added 0

Aluminum 3
Chromium 1
Iron 12
Copper 2
Lead 0
Tin 0
Molybdenum 147
Nickel 1
Manganese 1
Silver 0
Titantium 0
Potassium 2
Boron 12
Silicon 14
Sodium 5
Calcium 2251
Magnesium 1334
Phosphorus 814
Zinc 906
Barium 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210F 52.3
cSt Viscosity @ 100C 7.96
Flashpoint in F 390
Fuel % Antifreeze % 0
Water % 0
Insolubles % 0.4
TBN 3.2

So what does all this mean?

Should I switch to another synthetic beside RP?

Last edited:
You could probably get very similar results from any good synthetic, and probably a lot cheaper than RP. Try looking around the sales/rebates section and see what you can find in your area. Pennzoil Platinum, Mobil 1, Valvoline Synpower...the list goes on. All much cheaper than RP and would provide just as good of results in my opinion. RP is overrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back