new guy with question what oil for 2007 sti

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried doing some searching and did not really find anything so I hope I just did not miss a thread that could have helped me. I have a 2007 Subaru STI and since 2k miles I have been running Royal Purple 5w30 (factory recommended weight) Car seems to run great but it deffinetly gets alot of blowby with this oil. If I drive it hard the car can go through half quart in 600 miles (several top gear pulls on the freeway during a vacation). The car runs 19.5psi of boost so a decent amount of cankcase pressure. So like I said I am happy with Royal Purple in a way but would there be better oil out there for a car like mine? I just bought Lucas 5w30 but I have not put it in I thought I woudl ask first before I did the change. the car has 9k miles on it now and I just did a cold leakdown test and all cylinders were around 5% so motor is very healthy still. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Brandon

Oh and on a side note whats a UOA and a VOA I see that alot on here. I assume OA is Oil Analysis

Welcome!

UOA=Used Oil Analysis
VOA=Virgin Oil Analysis

I have a 04 STi, and she does amazing with Pennzoil Platinum 5 or 10w30. Both are great oils.

If you are looking for a higher class oil, I'd recommend Redline Oil.

iirc, adding a oil catch can (air/oil separator) is a common wrx mod. It won't stop the oil consumption but it will keep your engine from burning the oil vapor inhaled from the crankcase. And it will help keep your comp wheel from getting crudded up, turbine wheel too.
I think overseas Sube recommends thicker weights for hot weather. a ACEA A3/B3 oil might be a good choice for summer? GC? maybe M1 TDT 5w40?

Wow thanks for the fast replys. I a going to send my RP 5w30 to Blackstone labs to get a UOA done. Should I run the Lucas 5w30 synthetic or should take it back?

gtx510 your right a air/oil seprator is a common mod and I am actually going to build one soon.

Brandon

With as many proven oils there are out there, I'd take back the Lucas. I run Redline 10w40 year round in the STi, and am very happy with it. Try running the RP in a 40 weight and see if that helps with the oil burn. As was said, Penz Platinum seems to get good reviews, I don't know if they make it in a 40 weight though. As you can tell, I am preferential toward the 40 weight oils.

I ran GC for a single OCI, but was not impressed. That may have been because I was use to the Redline though.

Regarding the catch can. Do some research on it before you fab it. To do it right on the scoob, you essentially need two of them or more than just a basic 'in/out' design.

I do not royal purple is worth the price it costs I tried some and it was the only oil my Toyota drank, 1 qt in 3,000 miles . All the other oils would not move on the dipstick in 5,000 + miles using M1 or Amsoil or Redline. What does that mean ? I am not sure except I did not like the comsumption.

So I just went and returned the Lucas 5w30 back to Kragen and went to a smaller independent parts store and picked up redline 10w30. Its not 5w30 but reading the label on the back they claimed it flows like 5w30 to temps of -30c so I think it will be ok.

Brandon

5W30 is preferred by SoA for fuel economy. 10W30 and 10W40 are required for high temps. and even thicker vicsosities are recommended for severe driving. That hasn't changed since my 137 hp. 1997 Impreza Outback Sport.
55.gif

A couple of STI owner's here are running GC, some are running Redline or Amsoil. 5W40 diesel oils are also becoming more popular. Good move returning Lucas for Redline, IMO.
19.gif

-Dennis

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Steve S
I do not royal purple is worth the price it costs I tried some and it was the only oil my Toyota drank, 1 qt in 3,000 miles . All the other oils would not move on the dipstick in 5,000 + miles using M1 or Amsoil or Redline. What does that mean ? I am not sure except I did not like the comsumption.

agree on not worth the cost. opinions will vary though!

do you think the consumption would have subsided after a couple of oci's? Or didnt want to bother with it?

Originally Posted By: bluesubie
5W30 is preferred by SoA for fuel economy. 10W30 and 10W40 are required for high temps. and even thicker vicsosities are recommended for severe driving. That hasn't changed since my 137 hp. 1997 Impreza Outback Sport.
55.gif

A couple of STI owner's here are running GC, some are running Redline or Amsoil. 5W40 diesel oils are also becoming more popular. Good move returning Lucas for Redline, IMO.
19.gif

-Dennis

Whats GC?

Last edited:
Well just thought I would say that I just recently spent about 100 miles of hard driving road tuning of my car with my tuner on both 91 octane and 109 race gas and we drove it very hard and oil still looks to be in great condition and level. Now I know 100 miles is not that far but the car is now running 25psi on race gas so if it were to have blowby that would have been the time to lose some oil. I am running the redline synthetic 10w40

I have a modded WRX with 16G evo III and APS TMIC, etc. with 260 AWHP on dynodynamics.

My choice is 0w-30 German Castrol. If anyone can find me a superior oil for that price with UOA, I'll take it, but there probably is none. My local Subaru club also has a large following of 5w-30 Rotella T which is dirt cheap at Wal-mart. But to be honest, any 5w-30, 0w-30 ish Group IV fully synthetics should work great, heck, even Group III Mobil 1 would be allright. Now for transmission oil....that's a whole another story....Subies are very finicky about tx oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back