Best Sounding PC Speaker system under $100

Status
Not open for further replies.
A big priority is it has to have a good subwoofer.

This is for music, I'm not going to be doing any gaming. So far the best I've heard was an older Altec Lansing that my friend has at his office. I think it's an ACS340.

I have an old Altec Lansing ACS33 that has 2 satellite speakers and a subwoofer. It sounds good, but I want an even better one. We have like 4 computer in the family so mine can go on another machine when I get a better one. The one I have is like listening to a small but very decent stereo system. It's powered so you can use it stand alone with an MP3 player.

I'm open to new or used, the most important thing is high quality sound able to go loud with great bass. I'm even thinking about a surround sound like the Bose. The only problem with the Bose is way too expensive.

Wife got me the Harman/kardon (sp???) "sound sticks" system to go with my mac mini. Three small (1-1.5") speakers up top, and a sub.

I have to say, the sound is really good!

JMH

In this price range (can be found on line for under $100), I'd look at Logitech Z-2300:
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/home_pc_speakers/devices/231&cl=us,en

or Cyber Acoustics A-3780:
http://www.cyberacoustics.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Home.ProductDetail&content_id=334

Both have an 8" sub and should be capable of playing relatively loud without a ton of distortion (that's relative of course).

Considering your budget, I'd stay away from sourround sound setups because you're not going to get anything good. I would rather spend that $100 on a higher quality 2.1 setup rather than lower quality 5.1 setup. But that's just my opinion.

That's like asking for the best looking pig. There's not a lot of good sounding PC speakers for under $100.

The older Altec systems (10+ years back) were pretty good as far as computer audio speakers went. We still have a couple sets of those, but they have turned brown from age. Some more recent models I've heard have been very unimpressive.

I agree that a two channel system is more likely to make decent sound at your price point. For only a few dollars more than your budget, the Klipsch 2.1 system is one newer system we do have that sounds ok. But at the end of the day, it is all pretty mediocre compared to a traditional audio system of better pedigree.

The sound card is just as important as the speaker setup. If you're running onboard sound, then you have other shortcomings. If you want good sound out of a PC, have you considered marrying a $100 sound card to a good existing stereo system?

I think Bose is over-priced, over-hyped mass-market junk, but that's just me. Perhaps they'll sue me like they do everyone else who doesn't fall for their marketing blather, but that's my opinion.

Originally Posted By: Volvohead
I think Bose is over-priced, over-hyped mass-market junk, but that's just me. Perhaps they'll sue me like they do everyone else who doesn't fall for their marketing blather, but that's my opinion.

LOL.gif
You're not alone.

Shop around and buy a logitech system from newegg or someplace similar.

I have had a nice 2.1 logitech THX system for about 3 years now. That matched with a soundblaster audigy sound card, still sounds very good.

I think I paid 65 dollars for the system on closeout.

Cyber acoustics are absolute garbage, don't buy that brand.

I used to fix PC's, we would get hundreds of those back with returns.

Thanks for all the suggestions and recommendations. I'm on the prowl on ebay for certain Logitech, Altec Lansing 2.1 systems right now. I agree about the curren stuff, it doesn't seem to have much oompfff compared to some of the good stuff from 10 years ago.

What about Cambridge Soundworks and Boston Acoustics???

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: stogiedude
What about Cambridge Soundworks and Boston Acoustics???

Recently I replaced my parents computer. It was a Gateway from about 2000 that came with Digital Boston Acoustics speakers. Found out quickly they would not work unless I had a digital sound card. So, I pulled the Sound Blaster digital sound card and am using these speakers right now. Pretty nice sounding speakers. Ebay has the ones I am using (BA735) but you would need a digital sound card. The newer Boston Acoustics computer speakers with sub woofer run about $180 a set.

Boston is going to be a great sounding system.

At my old job we used to get hundreds of the Klipsch computer speakers, they are terrible. Many problems with the powered woofer (the internal amp would fry itself).

I have never seen or heard of Cambridge.

Most of the Altec lansing stuff I have seen has been low end, so I can't comment on their good stuff.

Logitech seems to have a good pricepoint to sound quality value.

I have a 12 year old Yamaha system, it's OK, but not as good as the newer ones IMO. The Dell 2.1 is really nice as it offers clean, crisp sound. It may not be the best in the world, but I really like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back