hose for propane?

Status
Not open for further replies.
what's the deal with hose for proprane?

I just need a 6' extension, 5/16" size, nobody has any.

is it different than sae hose, if so how?

Before or after the pressure regulator? Just a plain ol' piece of hose (with clamps?)... or one with JIC ends? Or something else entirely?

What's the application?

5/16 is an odd size for propane hose, 3/8 is far more readily available. Why must you have 5/16? Change the end fittings if you have to and go with 3/8.

For temporary and monitored use, I fabricate propane hoses from push-lock hose. They have moderate resistance to propane. Push-lock hose is available in 5/16.

Originally Posted By: onion
Before or after the pressure regulator? Just a plain ol' piece of hose (with clamps?)... or one with JIC ends? Or something else entirely?

What's the application?
Ya what he said. If it's before the regulator the pressure will be near ambient temperature if I'm not mistaken.

the application is I bought a brinkman charcoal smoker and junked by charbroil gas grill. I scavenged the regulator and manifold and burners from the charbroil and installed it into the brinkman.

From the charbroil (picture the cheapest gas grill you see at walmart or depot), it is the assembly consisting of the regulator which attaches onto a standard 5 gal. propane tank, along with approx. 3' of hose which is Accuflex 5/16" LPG vapor hose, going to the little manifold which has the burner knobs and connects to the propane burners inside the grill. All I want is an extension of hose so I can have my propane tank 2-3' away from the smoker.
The accuflex hose also said 1 psi max; I've already cut it in half and it looks like standard rubber hose, I just want to get two 5/16" brass fittings and extend the hose.

that's not a half bad idea,
the smoker was $50, so if i can get a length of copper flex or whatever for around $10 then that'll work. will have to check the hot water heater isle.

If you want to use 5/16 Copper tubing (it is available but probably not at a home improvement store), then all you have to do is to bulge the ends to get a leakproof seal and to prevent the hose from slipping off, which could have dire consequences. You can create barbs at the end of the tubing with a double flare cone in a flaring tool or use a bubble flaring tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back