Transitioning from FP60 to FP3000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, FP3000. I ordered it a while ago (03/12/2007). I'm finally finishing up my first and only gallon of FP60 (purchased 5/5/2006 and used in every tank since). Two years per gallon, not bad. I guess my FP3000 will last 4 years?
crazy2.gif

My vehicle is pleasure use only ("daily driver" but no commuting) and below average annual mileage. I've generally always been in the habit of keeping the tank reasonably full, both to reduce any condensation and ever since the massive 2003 blackout so I always have decent range at all times.

Specifically, I have a 70L tank, and I buy gas any time I need ~20L or more and the price looks good.

Back when FP3000 was in limited circulation I remember reading that someone, somewhere thought it was a "good idea" to run out the FP60 before starting FP3000 (ie. burn the entire FP60 tank, then a tank with no FP in between, then start FP3000).

I'm wondering if there's any backup to this, or more current opinions? Burning the whole tank of FP60-treated fuel is contrary to my habits and frankly would take me a long time with no road trips planned in the near future. I'm also anxious to try FP3000 :) Gas is $1.12/L here for regular, more like $1.28/L for the 91 that I require so I won't be making any attempts to burn it off any faster than normal just to get started on FP3000.

Am I safe to mix the two FPs? I might purchase the next two 20L top-ups and use no FP which will dilute it to 50% normal treat rate, then phase in FP3000? That would be a lot quicker and wouldn't change my habits. I wouldn't want to do that if there's any possibility of incompatibility though.

I switched from FP60 to FP3000 with no issues at all. I still had at least 2-3 gallons in the tank, treated with FP60. I'd say just run it until you only have a couple gallons left, then fillup and add the 1oz. of FP3000 (or 2oz. if your vehicle uses 20 gallons)

My mind still has a hard time wrapping around the fact that 1oz in 10 gallons can have any effect. I'm not doubting the product, it's just a personal head thing I have.

I switched for FP60 to FP3000 with no problems. I like FP3000 a little better since for me it is easier to dispense. I had a large Stabil dispensing bottle I converted to dispensing my FP3000. Works great. Both products provide a silky smooth idle. That is in my 99SL2 Saturn which is not know for being the most refined engine.

Originally Posted By: Greggy_D
My mind still has a hard time wrapping around the fact that 1oz in 10 gallons can have any effect. I'm not doubting the product, it's just a personal head thing I have.

It works. A friend who had not been running any fuel additive pulled his plugs at 20K miles to find that they were heavily carboned up. With out replacing them, he started using FP3000. At 25K miles he decided to change the plugs before heading out for his spring run on the track. The old plugs he replaced were now clean and had a nice tan color to them.

Originally Posted By: Greggy_D

What is the maximum level people are running here if you wanted to get to maximum lubricity and cleaning without harming anything?

2oz per 10 gallons, 4oz?

Originally Posted By: RI_RS4
1 oz/gal is the normal treat rate.
2 oz/gal is the maintenance dose, if I recall.

That would be per 10 gallon, not 1 gallon.

My brain ain't a workin' well 2-day.

1 oz/gal is the normal treat rate.
2 oz/gal is the maintenance dose, if I recall.

That would be per 10 gallon, not 1 gallon.

My brain ain't a workin' well 2-day.

Doesn't make sense to me. Wouldn't a "Treat rate" be higher than a "maintenance dose"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back