Mistubishi-Fuso Truck Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone here with any knowledge of these?

We have an '04 Mitsubishi-Fuso light (14,400# GVW) delivery truck with 69,000 miles on it. Strangest thing - every once in a while when we go over a bump, the front end starts shimmying/shaking, and it'll continue for 1/2 mile or so, then smooth right out. It's been to 2 different shops, and nobody can find anything wrong with it. The usual stuff you'd suspect like shocks/suspension components/spring/loose wheels, etc.., all check out okay. We're about at wit's end here. Any ideas?

TIA

Does it have a steering stabilizer strut/shock? If so, take it off and see if it has any resistance when pushing it in and out. If it's easy to push in, then there is your problem. Is there any air in the lines of the power steering system?

At what speeds does it do this? High, low, both? Unbalanced tire?

Although it also sounds like a worn out shock. In what way was it checked? Sometimes you'll see a car going down the highway with a wheel bouncing like crazy and wonder how they don't notice it.

My buddy's Dodge 3500 would do that at higher speeds. The passenger (me) could look out the window and see the front tire bouncing violently. It would stop when you slow down. It was due to large amounts of unsprung weight (solid axle, large tires) combined with worn-out shocks. The problem went away with new shocks.

Thanks for the responses guys. I think we'll just change everything on the front end!! Funny thing is, we have another identical unit, with about 50% more miles on it, and there are no problems with that one.
21.gif

Wow, checking around the 'net, M-F certainly does seem to have a fair number of issues, eh?
shocked2.gif

It's a pretty common problem with a beam steering axle.
It can often be a dynamic tyre imbalance or dead shock as someone has posted above.

When i was a kid, Dad had this problem with a a fullsize Jeep. A steering damper and beefing up the tie rod cured it. The tie rod was flexing under compression loads when a wheel hit a bump. Neither of us could hold onto the wheel.

I've also had this problem with a Ford F series under brakes. It took three attempts at a wheel balance before the issue was resolved. Most recently I had it twelve months ago on my Landrover Defender. One dead nearside shock was the cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back