Which gasolines have Techron?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously besides Chevron, who has Techron in their gas? I've heard Shell and Texaco have Techron. Is this true? Thanks.

Originally Posted By: cristphoto
Obviously besides Chevron, who has Techron in their gas? I've heard Shell and Texaco have Techron. Is this true? Thanks.

Chevron and Texaco (called ChevronTexaco since merger in 2001) both have Techron. Shell has 'V-Power'. I don't know which is better.

I thought V-Power actually was Techron but Shell couldn't (or wouldn't) use that term since is was another companies product that Shell was liscensing. Any Shell experts here?

Originally Posted By: ChiTDI
I thought "Techron" was proprietary property of Chevron-Texaco.

The brand is, but the formulation is sold to comeptitors.

Originally Posted By: ffracer

The brand is, but the formulation is sold to competitors.

I've seen that written before, but I don't know which competitors, if any, use it. If anyone has any info. (links, esp.) that would decide this, it would be nice to see.

Originally Posted By: ffracer

The brand is, but the formulation is sold to comeptitors.

Its been rumored but I really dont believe it.

That would make sense 'Techron' is the brand name but the formula may be available to others they just can't market the 'Techron' name.

Kinda like 'Aspirin' is Bayer only but ASA is available in many other products and varieties.

I think that V-Power is closer to Regane than Techron. Shell owns Gumout, afterall.

I work at a large oil refinery that is located on the Houston Ship Channel. One of our Chemical Engineers told me that Shell uses Techron, but can't use the name in their advertising for the reason that others have already posted. It is interesting to note, though indicative of nothing, that the shape of the V-Power concentrate bottle closely resembles the bottle used for Techron concentrate.

I have also read some of Shell's own marketing literature that details how the lubricity of their V-Power gasoline reduces drag. This would seem to indicate that Shell is adding some sort of UCL to the V-Power gasoline. I personally have not noticed smoother operation using V-Power, but have noticed a big difference when using Lucas UCL in conjunction with V-Power. My MPG seem to remain constant when I try other brands, so I fully credit the Lucas UCL with any perceived improvement.

There are three reasons that I use Shell V-Power:

1) Shell purchases some of the premium gasoline that my refinery makes and sells it as V-Power. I like buying a product that I helped to manufacture.

2) Shell operates their massive Deer Park Refining Complex just down the freeway from our refinery. This leads me to believe that the Shell gasoline I purchase locally is relatively "fresh".

3) Shell advertises that they add 5X the EPA mandated quantity of detergent additives to V-Power. I have yet to see any other brand challenge or match that claim.

Regardless of what brand of gas one uses each has their own version of detergents to keep the insides clean. You can always buy a bottle of Techron and toss it in your gas anyway at any time you please.

Durango

i use shell i also put in a 8oz bottle of bg's super chargeII
no more do i use products such as fp60,never used lucas ucl which is nothing but marketing, or any other additive with any kind of oils in them to my gas!! i learned the hard way with alot of deposits that built up in my engine when it was taken apart and no more oil additives!!!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lyondellic

I have also read some of Shell's own marketing literature that details how the lubricity of their V-Power gasoline reduces drag. This would seem to indicate that Shell is adding some sort of UCL to the V-Power gasoline. I personally have not noticed smoother operation using V-Power, but have noticed a big difference when using Lucas UCL in conjunction with V-Power. My MPG seem to remain constant when I try other brands, so I fully credit the Lucas UCL with any perceived improvement.

The ingredients list on the label of the V-Power additive says it has “friction modifiers” in it, whatever they mean by that. I don’t think Techron makes this claim. Hopefully these “friction modifiers” are more than just a light oil, like Lucas or FP60. I have noticed smoother operation while using V-Power gas and the V-Power additive.

Boxcartommie22 has a good point. I have also wondered what kind of deposits the oil in additives like FP60 or Lucas UCL leave behind after they burns. The makers of these additives claim the oil leaves no deposits, but I really wonder about that. Likewise for Seafoam down a vacuum port of a running engine: the cloud of smoke that produces is mostly from the oil in seafoam burning off. That’s got to leave some soot someplace.

Originally Posted By: kang
Originally Posted By: Lyondellic

The ingredients list on the label of the V-Power additive says it has “friction modifiers” in it, whatever they mean by that. I don’t think Techron makes this claim. Hopefully these “friction modifiers” are more than just a light oil, like Lucas or FP60. I have noticed smoother operation while using V-Power gas and the V-Power additive.

Boxcartommie22 has a good point. I have also wondered what kind of deposits the oil in additives like FP60 or Lucas UCL leave behind after they burns. The makers of these additives claim the oil leaves no deposits, but I really wonder about that. Likewise for Seafoam down a vacuum port of a running engine: the cloud of smoke that produces is mostly from the oil in seafoam burning off. That’s got to leave some soot someplace.

talked with a seafoam rep and he said that its oil based and that the smoke is a lot from just oil burnoff.. what made me think was that since its oil based and we all know oil leave residue behind would after using seafoam via the pcv valve it would have a tendacy to build back up due to the residue.. what do you guys think?

if the manufacturers thought oil in the gas is a good thing then they would suggest it. i have learned to stay away from anything with oil added to gas for upper cylinder lube which is also bunch of bull

Well Boxcar: I use Shell V-power and add Marvel Mystery Oil
religiously with every fill up. If you ever seen the heads off
of a motor that ran MMO you wouldn't believe how carbon free
it is. Seafoam is also a good product especially for 2 stroke
engines.

I wonder if there is any data on the effects of the gas/oil mixture percentage on catalytic converters. I do use 2.5 OZ per of 2-C oil per 10 gallons of fuel in every other tank full.

I have seen how clean the uppers are, on engines running MMO in the gas also, and I use a smaller than recommended amount in my gas every few tanks. I occasionally use a tiny bit of syn 2 stroke oil in it's place also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back