Redline SI-1 or Lucas UCL for long-term use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which do you think is better for long term use?
(In terms of fuel economy, keeping the engine running well and keeping the fuel system clean)

Redline SI-1 2 oz/10 gallons fuel OR
Lucas UCL 3 oz/10 gallons fuel

All thoughts welcome!

Use good fuel and good oil.

NOT ALL GAS is the same. Gas is not gas. I know this as I was a fuel hauler for a while.

You would be SHOCKED at how many additives can be added at the rack(were the tanker fills up). When I got out of it there were over 500 differant additives.

Some places made premium fuel with additives others used NO ADDITIVES. All fuels are this way.

To get the best deisal around here You go to one place. They ask that their fuel only be delivered after a load of JP-8 has been in the tank.They also use 22 additives. They also like their gas to follow av gas deliveries. They try to save on additives by using the quail in the tank to help their product. They also have their own additive that we have to add on the top of the tank. It was a pain the but. Yet, its good fuel.

On mid grade. You do not always get what you pay for. Some times its half Premium and have low grade this make mid grade. Others have Midgrade were it is measured and is true midgrade.

I have had to dump low grade into mid grade tanks just because they pay the bill.

Now, I am not going to say this HAPPENS ALOT as it dosn't in my area. Yet, there are places around here that sell 3 types of gas. It is all low grade.

If they get questioned they blame the driver for dropping the wrong fuel type. Just they have the invoices for what they ordered. You show up and the Veeter root tells you that the low grade tank is full. You tell them. They say put it in tank 3. Tank 3 put it in tank 3 its ok.

I would say run the lucas constantly and run half a bottle of redline every month. I did that but mixed the lucas with MMO. Lucas is pretty darn hard to get to pour when its cold outside. I would mix MMO and UCL. It would look like a pink milkshake but the car LOVED it. That cars engine still purs fine.....dang tranny is another story.

Redline S1 is more of a cleaner for once or twice a year use, at full strength.
Lucas is a mild but good cleaner, with great lubrication for all sorts of fuel system and engine stuff [stuff = detailed technical terms].
The Lucas can be used in every tank, and is the preferred method.
I also mix MMO or 2 stroke oil with my Lucas UCL

The thing that gets me about Lucus. ITS SO THICK. I guess this is to help with the dry starts, but man, its so thick I worry about the viscosity. As running it in my c-15 cat gave me a red X in the oil sample. I was TOLD TO QUIT running it. That is how I was told to look into motorkote from the Cat shop. They do not sell Lucas, yet sell Motorkote.

Now, I just try to use better oil. It makes sense. There should be NO NEED for an oil additive. Even on extended oil intervals.

What gets me. The folks that add an oil additive (many times Lucas) then they do not extend their oil change.

Now think about that. What is the reason? MOST times folks would be better off using better oils and no additive. Its also CHEAPER most times.

I am not sold on oil additives. I do try them. I have tried many. When I say try, I do not mean for like 3k miles. A try to me is at LEAST 60k.

I also do not go for TBN additives. I will just replace the oil.

I am all for oil testing. I do feel we will see this more common. I bet you a buck. In the next 5 years. Wal Mart will offer oil testing on site. I AM NOT saying it will be as good as going to a lab that give full double testing. Just MOST folks have no clue.

My car owners manula says to chage the oil at 15k. It is a deisal. The wifes cars manual says 8k. It is a gas engine. Yet, 3k right. That is when we are supposed to do it.

My trucks ALL have from the factory recomended 20k oil changes. Not 10-15 like most like to do. My self, I would rather run better oil that dose not need additives.

I can care less if its Royal, Amsoil, Schaeffer or Red Line. Just WE SHOULD NOT have to add additives to the oil.

I ask folks all the time. What dose that additive do? MOST have no idea and say I have always done it. It helps at start up.

I am sorry, I just do not buy it.I feel the MOTOR oil companies can figure it out fine. Use your additive and let you engine fail see who they blame. They will blame the oil. So use good oil.

daytrader, lucas makes an oil additive and a fuel additive.

Lucas Oil Stabilizer is the oil add. Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant is for the fuel. But it to is VERY thick. I remember last Jan I accidentally forgot a bottle of LUCL in my car overnight intending to use it the next day when I filled up. When I got out of my car to fuel up I grabbed the bottle only to realize that it wasnt gonna be leaving the bottle very quickly. It was thick as that STP oil additive.

Took over 1.5 mins to totally pour in! Wow.

I really have nothing bad to say about the L Fuel additive. Just US IT when it is needed. I was a fuel hauler. I now more then most. I can tell bad gas when I pump it. I have filled my tanker in the past with 9k gallons of low grade to dump into a premium tank. With no additives added. There are over 500 additives at the rack to add to the fuel.

Adding fuel additives I DO SUPPORT. I also SUPPORT if you can only buy gas at one place and from one pump. Unless it is a Veeder Root muti pump station. Then just fuel at ONE place.

Also, JUST TO FYI you. ALL the fuel tanks have water in them. That is a fact. The Veeder Root read out gives the tanker driver his volume INCLUDING water content. So fuel additives are cool to me. I think MANY folks in cars really need to use them.

Lu has a fine fuel additive. I just use a differant additive. Yet Lucas has a fine fuel additive. Their OIL aditive is in my mode close to a danger area. I know you didn't get their oil additive to pour in 1.5 mins
More like 2 hours with heat.

How can you be sure that that union driver dumps in the right amount of additive at the tank farm? Adding something to the gas yourself is more a more consistent solution. If you only keep a car a few years don't bother. If you drive 'em till they drop, something in the gas is a good idea. I use MMO every fill up but I do use Chevron Pro Guard just before every other oil change.

stick with the fuel additives and gas that have polyetheramines or PEA...chevron for one..and i wouldn't give 2 cents for any lucas products...redline is loaded with PEA so is Bg's 44k and there cf5..chevron fuel additive is loaded too..for keeping fuel system nice and clean i would use redline SI-1 full bottle initial tx. then 2 oz with every fill up...i mix my si-1 with redlines fuel system water remover and anti freeze this in addition also an excellent upper lube...in a 1 qt bottle i mix 22 oz si-1 and the rest with the water remover .....all gas has a percentage of water in it..tankers have to document water and additive content when they fill their trucks and get this some trucks by pass the additives!!

Local station in mckeesport had trouble a couple weeks ago. His kerosene tank was contaminated badly with gasoline!

About a year ago I bought gasoline at a local sunoco and I SWEAR it smelled way too much like diesel fuel for my liking. Car ran ok so I guess it wasnt contaminated badly though...

Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
..and i wouldn't give 2 cents for any lucas products...

happy2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

I tried Lucas fuel injector cleaner because several people on my truck forum said they got a big boost in mileage. I got a $5 ding in my wallet.

I have tried RedLine fuel system cleaner and can't say if it worked or not. I trust them more then Lucas. Any company (lucas) that claims you can get less friction by making your oil thicker, isn't dealing cards from the top of the deck.

I trust Chevrons fuel system cleaner. They are recomended by Porsche, Mercedes and GM.

I use about every 25.000 KM Redline as raccomended on the bottle for full cleaning, for my tank is 3/4 of the bottle and after I go to make oil change.

For keeping the fuel system clean and lubrificated I use lucas at ratio of 1:10.000.

The car goes great,underknow you have to use a good oil and good gasoline.

Originally Posted By: Loobed
Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
..and i wouldn't give 2 cents for any lucas products...

happy2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

I tried Lucas fuel injector cleaner because several people on my truck forum said they got a big boost in mileage. I got a $5 ding in my wallet.

I have tried RedLine fuel system cleaner and can't say if it worked or not. I trust them more then Lucas. Any company (lucas) that claims you can get less friction by making your oil thicker, isn't dealing cards from the top of the deck.

I trust Chevrons fuel system cleaner. They are recomended by Porsche, Mercedes and GM.

Is true what you say about lucas oil additives, but the fuel additive works great.

Last edited:
I have had good results with Red Line fuel additive and also one from Renewable Lube, Inc. Actually I think that the RLI gas additive helped to reduce visible smoke in an older car I have that smokes on startup and when I slow down comming off the freeway. The RLI did not help startup but did help on slow down. I tested it with and without and the results followed the dose. Also this car fouls one spark plug every now and then and the RLI greatly reduced that, again tested with and without the additive. I also tried Lucas gass additive for three tanks and compared to no additive and evidently I'm not smart enough to see any difference. The Lucas was given to me by a friend that believes in all their stuff and wanted to convert me. I converted him and now he is using the RLI gas additive and their ByoSyn engine oil. I gotta say that Lucas has great marketing considering the quality of their products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back