Amount of MMO in gas and oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the proper amount of MMO to put in your gas tank and in your engine oil? Let's say a 20 gallon gas tanks and a 5 quart crankcase.

yep, and please do a search to see what others have done in the past.

Thanks,

JMH

Yeah...I am new to this board and am not too familiar with the search engine....seems to give a lot of extraneous stuff when you search...hmm....?

I have a very old unopened container of MMO on my shelf and was going to use it up and give it a try. Probably 15 years old! Advisable or not? I will check the container for dosage requirements. Thanks!

Last edited:
You'd wanna do 8oz in the gas for 20 gallons but why do you wanna add it to your oil?

Yeah, bottle says add 4 oz/10 gallons gas...and add 1 quart of MMO to 4 quarts oil...supposed to 'fortify' the oil!

Originally Posted By: wfbarto
What is the proper amount of MMO to put in your gas tank and in your engine oil? Let's say a 20 gallon gas tanks and a 5 quart crankcase.

I have a 18 gallon tank and use a 16oz bottle 3-4 times per year (10K). I have also used a 16oz bottle in my 4.5 quart crankcase a few times over the years.

Works well in both -- no issues.

Last edited:
I use half the dose in the fuel ... about 2 ounces per 10 gallons and/or I skip every other tankful to make sure residue doesn't build up somewhere in the motor.

Don't put this stuff in your crankcase ... it contains solvents. OK, put a couple ounces in ... but only 30-50 miles before you change the oil.

What is the percentage of solvents in it?

I haven't noticed any issues using 16 ounce 3-4 times. I'm about to reach 200K with this 13 year-old engine.

This 2.5 four cylinder Caravan engine is still whisper-quiet and does not smoke at all.

Last edited:
Bror Jace

No products like MMO are clones of your oil-brand. Nobody buys items like this without having some-sort of issue -- or are attempting to avoid future issues. Even a maintenance dose of Auto-Rx contains solvents. Their contents help engines in the long-term -- not hurt them.

So unless you have proof that the percentage I have used has caused any level of engine damage - for an entire duration of 3k OCI, then please lets see the evidence. The bottle itself offers the option for crankcase use. So are you calling the MMO company a liar Bror Jace?

Last edited:
If you turn the calender back to non detergent oil days, then MMO may have had some value in the crankcase.

I add 6 oz to 15 gallons of fuel in my truck and 4 oz to 12 gallons of fuel in my wifes car...none added to the oil.

I've run MMO in my gas and haven't noticed one darn bit of difference or improvement.

In fact, I ran 3 or 4 tankfuls of gas/MMO before a tankful of Regane and the engine came alive during the Regane tank.

I'm a bit dismayed at MMO in the gas.

MMO has done wonders added to gas mix in my 2-cycle OPE. Quicker starts, better running, and stabilizes the gas during storage better than Stabil (imo).

In vehicles, I've noticed minor results. I think you are better off with Techron or Regane. That being said, if you feel it helps, by all means use it and follow the label directions. I would pitch the old stuff and get new though.

I agree - Techron is a much better choice for partially clogged injectors. I use the MMO in the gasoline mostly for lubrication and reducing carbon deposits.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
I agree - Techron is a much better choice for partially clogged injectors. I use the MMO in the gasoline mostly for lubrication and reducing carbon deposits.

It also smells pretty too...i use it for the same reasons.

I've used MMO for years and am very happy with the product. I use it in the gas, in an inverse oiler, and for the last 500 or so miles of an OCI interval. The amount you put in the gas is 4 oz per 10 gallons of gas.

As far as shelf life, as long as it is red in color the product is fine according to the company. If you visit the Turtle Wax website it will answer a lot of the questions about the product.

As far as cleaning injectors you are better off with a product like Techron, and once the injectors are clean MMO will keep them clean, lubricated, and act as a top oil. For a really sludged engine ARX seems to win hands down.

Frank D

Triple_Se7en, no reason to get all riled up. One of the hardest balances to get right with an internal combustion lubricant is balancing pure lubricating ability with the ability to stay in grade and keep the surfaces clean.

I think MMO is a bit more heavily weighted towards cleaning (which is why some people use it as a fuel system cleaner) and so I would not use it in any amount for any length of time in the crankcase. I HAVE used it (2-3 ounces) in the last 100-200 miles before a drain.

If you feel that strongly about it, feel free to use it in great quantity and post a UOA showing great wear protection. Me? I'll use it solely in the fuel ... and only intermittently so as to not foul any of the emission gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back