2006 Volvo S60 2.5T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did a quick search and did not find an answer.

Wife has the '06 Volvo S60 w/ 2.5 turbo. Dealer did the 7,500 service. Will have to change the oil shortly. Any suggestions on the oil? Figure a syn or semi-syn.

Appreciate the help.

Synthetic is the way to go in my opinion for a turbo charged engine. Pennzoil and Mobil 1 in 5w30 meets the Honda turbo spec. Not familiar with the Volvo viscosity recomendation though.

Thanks, Eddie.

I'll check out the owner's manual for specs when I get home. Agree that synthetic is the way to go w/ turbos.

I have a 2001 S60 T-5. I have used M-1 5W30 and PP 5W30 with good results. I am currently on the rinse phase of an ARX treatment. I have some GC ready to try out post ARX. Check out the info on GC in the European and Import Motors Oils Forum. Just make sure the oil you choose meets the ACEA requirement in your owners manual. Mine needs ACEA 1A. I agree with Eddie, definitely go with synthetic in a turbocharged engine.

GC (German Castrol:the Green oil) is another good oil as stated. The problem is, it is difficult if not impossible to find. (Read bottle label to be certain it is the German product.) PP & M1 can be had anywhere and I purchase at WalMarts for $19.xx and $21.xx respectively for a five quart Jug. In addition, PP & M1 meet the A1/A5 ACEC standard but, not sure about GC.

PP and M1 don't meet ACEA A3, which is the high performance spec, GC does. GC also meets the ACEA B4 spec, which has to do with direct injection in diesel engines. Which I would assume would at least be partially advantageous to DI gas engines as well.

GC also meets most if not all of the "long-life" specifications of VW, etc. I don't see how it can not be a "better" oil.

Most, if not all Autozone's carry GC, compared to M1 or PP its expensive though, especially if you can pick up the 5quart jugs of M1 or PP, those are a steal.

Is it "necessary" over PP or M1, thats the question?

Last edited:
Thanks everyone.

I have a local distributor here for ELF motor oils. He supplies my VW TDI with VW 505.01. Maybe, I can check out their line as well.

I'd stick with conventional oil. If the engine truly needed synthetic oil, Volvo would've required its use.

Originally Posted By: astraelraen
PP and M1 don't meet ACEA A3, which is the high performance spec, GC does. GC also meets the ACEA B4 spec, which has to do with direct injection in diesel engines. Which I would assume would at least be partially advantageous to DI gas engines as well.

The data sheet on the Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 states it meets ACEA A5/B5-04.

Have run the Mobil 1 classic 10W-30 in mine with good oil analysis results. Currently on my 2nd run with Amsoil ATM. Me thinks she likes it. Will do an oil analysis after this one.

This is worth nothing since I don't know the Volvo specs, but I'd have to have a reason not to use one of the following oils -

Pablo's list (above) of Amsoil's ACD 30, or DEO or AFL 40wts.

Schaeffer 9000 5w40

M1 0w40

IMO these are the most stud oils produced period. I'd try to find a way to use them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back