Opinions on this tune-up plan? (auto rx, oil etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on what I've read here and asking questions previously, I think I've got a fairly good idea of how to proceed with this.

However, I'd really appreciate any feedback or advice just in case there's any flaws in my plan - for example the car isn't driven a lot of miles (~20 per day), and I'm wondering if this kind of 'extreme use' with dino oil on the auto rx cycles will negate any benefit of the auto rx.

The car is a 2004 bmw 330i with 41,000 miles. It's had dealer oil changes with BMW castrol synthetic at ~15000, 30,000 and 37,000 miles (previous owner). My goal is to try and clean up any internal gunk, varnish etc. and hopefully keep it running smoothly well into the future.

Since it's probably relevant to my viscosity choices, the car is in FL so very cold weather oil performance isn't an issue.

My plan is this:

1. run a tank of gas with a bottle of techron through the car

2. change the oil & filter to castrol GTX 10w40 dino, add a bottle of auto-rx, run it for the specified cleaning milage.

3. change oil and filter again to castrol gtx 10w40 dino, run for the specified rinse milage.

4. change oil and filter to amsoil euro 5w40.

For some reason, I couldn't turn up any results trying to search the UOA forum, so I don't have any data to support my oil choices. I'm going on previous recommendations.

I really appreciate any advice or suggestions, thanks.

Last edited:
I would think that BMW changed fuel filter after the lease turn-in, but it'd be good to verify.

My Fords and GM's have always spec'd 30,000 mile intervals but it seems to be a maintenance item that many folks overlook or ignore.

I do it once a year, regardless of mileage, on my 550HP Mustang and every two years on other vehicles

Also, I never add fuel system cleaner to a vehicle that has an old filter.

Assuming the product used is an effective formula, it will go to work dissolving that accumulated crud and then it gets sent on to the engine.........NOT a very logical thing to do, IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back