GM Top End Cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys, can you tell me more about this and how to use it? thanks fellas... what i am looking for is something along the lines of seafoam but better (induction via the pcv valve)

i know about seafoam but i have heard and read that the GM top end cleaner is better BUT it seems like the parts people at the chevy place dont know how to use it.. so i am asking, how do you use GM top end cleaner??

GM-TEC cleaner used to be available in 12oz liquid pour in or spray. I've used both, and the spray is so much easier to apply. My old 83 Olds Cutlass 307-4V loved this stuff (lasted 256K miles) until trans went.
It is also GREAT for removeing used oil stains from jeans-just follow up the jeans with dishwashing detergent afterward

Originally Posted By: steve20
GM-TEC cleaner used to be available in 12oz liquid pour in or spray. I've used both, and the spray is so much easier to apply. My old 83 Olds Cutlass 307-4V loved this stuff (lasted 256K miles) until trans went.
It is also GREAT for removeing used oil stains from jeans-just follow up the jeans with dishwashing detergent afterward

ok, so how do i use it??? do i suck it up via the pcv valve like seafoam or is there another way??

Originally Posted By: mikeg5

ok, so how do i use it??? do i suck it up via the pcv valve like seafoam or is there another way??

good question,i seen this suff at my GM dealer and from what i saw it's just a tiny little bottle how that could clean things is unclear to me...

most use two bottles. since i worry about hydrolock (most chevy places just dump this stuff in the pcv line without the motor on) can i suck it up via the pcv valve? like seafoam?? if you dont know for sure then dont answer! not talking to you daman

The first thing i thought too was dumping it into the break
hose or PCV..hopefully somebody that's done this(with GM Top End Cleaner) will chime in..

ok just found out.. yes you do it like seafoam, you suck it up via the brake booster or pcv valve. .. but most like to let it sit over night and do multiple applications if you havent done stuff like that in a long time or never... personally with seafoam i wait no less than 1 hour.. same with this stuff..

ok just found out.. yes you do it like seafoam, you suck it up via the brake booster or pcv valve. .. but most like to let it sit over night and do multiple applications if you havent done stuff like that in a long time or never... personally with seafoam i wait no less than 1 hour.. same with this stuff..

Can i ask where you "found out",and let it set over night huh?
how much are you seeing for this stuff?,i've never priced it..

Originally Posted By: daman

Can i ask where you "found out",and let it set over night huh?
how much are you seeing for this stuff?,i've never priced it..

i had a guy point me in the right direction.. there are a few ways to do it but for me the pcv valve is the easiest.. call your local chevy place. they should have the spray and or liquid.. get the liquid.. i was quoted 15$ per can but thats on the very very high end. so actually i may stick with seafoam.. the usual price for the top end cleaner from what i have seen is in the 5-9 dollar range

From a master tech at Chevy (my cousin) he recommends using the liquid, but says most of the time you do it twice in a row. A typical top end "Cleaning service" is the throttle body spray, liquid through the vacuum line, and fuel tank treatment.

I'm going to be giving the NAPA PRO CLEAN stuff a whirl. Supposed to be pretty good stuff. :) Borrowed the unit from a friend to hookup to the car.

Last edited:
that Pro Clean stuff is pretty potent. Nothing like being able to run the car off it (have to disable fuel pump)

Matt

You can use top end cleaner as an injector cleaner too. Just mix it 20/80 with gas and pump it though the fuel rail. Works very well.

Any of you guys have an experience using the Pro-Clean sutff from Napa I mentioned? I'm talking about the pressurzied cansister version you hook up to the fuel rail and run the car off of it. Seems like pretty good stuff. I'll have to dig up the MSDS sheet.

so using the top end cleaner from GM, do i suck in 1 whole bottle via the pcv valve? or do i do it in increments like seafoam??

I've found it best to suck the whole bottle down, but do it in a "measured" way so you don't hydrolock the motor! If it's accessible, I'd take the entire PCV hose off and get a long length of hose, attach to the fitting on the intake manifold, and poor the cleaner in a dish or bowl so you can see how much your sucking up. I just place the bowl on the radiator shroud or something. It's easier to do it this way if someone is modulating the throttle for you as it'll want to die. It'll for sure die if you just jam the hose in the bottle and let it suck the whole thing in one shot.

Do it on a hot engine, let it sit for an hour or two, then take it for a spirited drive and rid your neighborhood of skeeters!

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=h...ficial%26sa%3DG

Check out the pics of the piston tops and the vid of how to do it.

Actually, by far the easiest way to do a top end cleaning I've found is to use Deep Creep - the aerosol version of Sea Foam. Just stick the little extension tube into the PCV or brake booster line and spray the can empty. I think it might work better cause the Seafoam is in a vapor and gets more evenly dispersed into all the cylinders. You can also take the intake tube off and clean the throttle body at the same time.

with seafoam i just do a 1/2 can at a time. the first 1/2 i usually let it sit for a few hours, the second 1/2 i let it sit over night.. could i do this with the GM top end cleaner?? personally i thhink the top end cleaner is stronger by far to seafoam..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back