Deere transaxle fluid and filter questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

New member here, found you while researching parts for my 455 diesel tractor. Hopefully I'll have some tech tips / experiences to share since I've had my 455 diesel since new in 1995, in addition to an ExMark Lazer Z which I use for my personal mowing only, and pretty much do my own maintenance on them.

I have a couple of questions to start with, however:

1.) the Deere transaxle lube is Hygard, with a J20D spec. Is there a readily available (and suitable!) substitute for this product cheaper than $13./gal. out there? This is my Deere dealer's price today. I found Sinclair's TH 303 including their product data sheet at the following link, but have been stonewalled trying to find a retail-available cross reference.
http://www.sinclairoil.com/product_data_sheets/303 TH Fluid.pdf

Additionlly, while looking at Amsoil's site the J20D comparable product came up with a synthetic tractor tranmission product that had an SAE 5W 30 rating on the container shown in the photo as well as in the technical description.... could it really be that simple that the J20D is the same as 5W-30 and I could use a synthetic?

2.) the transaxle (hydrostat) filter is Deere p/n AM116156, which translates to Baldwin BT8499, Wix 57103, Napa 7103 and Carquest 85103, yet I cannot find a cross reference to a filter I can buy down the street (i.e. STP, Fram, ACDelco or Bosch, etc.). Can anyone point me towards a cross reference to these brands? The retail stores have been no help. Again, Deere is asking $9.07 for this filter and I know I should be able to get it for several $$$ less. I'm out of work for the past few months so every penny counts and is why I'm on my quest...

Specs on the filter (per Baldwin data sheet) are:

Thread 1" x 14,
O.D. 3 25/32,
Length 3 31/32,
Gasket G381-A

Thanks in advance, any help in these two areas will be greatly appreciated

GTPdriver (Les)

If you have a TSC Store near you they carry Mystik and Travellers tractor fluid and you can also get the filter there as well...I have used both fluids in my JD 2640 and the loader worked better with the Mystik fluid...also hydraulic pump was a hair quieter.

I've used the Traveller/Mystik transmission/hydraulic fluid in my Yanmar 1700. Works fine.

Is the Deere one of the smaller ones? It may have been made by Yanmar - they've been in cahoots with JD for some time now.

For a filter, go to FleetFilter.com, a site sponsor - they've got nearly everything, are very competitive on price, and offer GREAT SERVICE!

No I'm not with FleetFilter, just very pleased with them!

thanks,
ben

Last edited:
I tried crossing those numbers to FRAM and it didn't come up with anything.
Most likely, your Pep Boys type auto parts stores wouldn't carry that filter since it isn't common enough. The 1" thread pretty much rules that out.
As often as that filter gets changed, I'd just get the NAPA or Wix or Carquest filter (all the SAME filter) and not spend more time trying to save $3.

GTP,

The J20D transmission oil is Low Viscosity Hy-Gard, which is a synthetic product. If you want to stick to a synthetic (ha ha), you're going to have to pay a premium over the conventional (dino) J20C Hy-Gard. Maybe in your location that's the thing to do. On the face of it, $13 a gallon sounds pretty competitive. If there is a Chevron jobber near you, you could price a pail of Chevron THF W, which meets John Deere's J20D specs.

As for filters, I buy mine (Wix) in bulk over the internet from Filter 1. I have a couple of JD tractors, both with Yanmar engines, and Wix makes filters for air, oil, fuel, and hydraulics. Frankly, $9.07 for the JD hydraulic filter looks pretty competitive.

As for using synthetic 5W-30 motor oil in lieu of a proper tractor hydraulic fluid--I wouldn't do it. Maybe one of our resident Amsoil reps could explain Amsoils's J20D spec'd offerings.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

Hi, and thanks everyone for the great responses. I'll try to answer all the above questions here;

The 455 is a compact garden tractor with the 22 hp. Yanmar. I have the all-wheel steer model; it's fairly short coupled and does a great job of mowing, as well and moving snow with the front blade, but I can't put a FEL on it because the rear wheels turn and it would topple over (according to Deere anyway).

I'm intrigued by the comment about the Mystik fluid, and since I have a TSC right down the road I might just give that product a try.

Thanks for the lead on Fleetfilter.com! They do carry the Wix/Napa filter at $3.91 each but I'd have to buy six of them unfortunately
frown.gif

Oliver88, you mention you get your filter(s) at TSC, is there a cross reference to the 57103? The brands TSC carried didn't seem to match up to the one I need, and store help at the one I go to is poor to nonexistant.

For now I'll drop the idea of a 5W-30 and stick to the J20D (J20C) product, but still would be curious to learn more about whether the J20D and 5W-30 are close/similar/same, just from a curiousity and knowledge standpoint. Thanks in advance to anyone who answers on this.

Thanks also to all the above who got back to me so quickly. Greatly appeciated!!!!

Hi all, here's some feedback for the above:

I finally gave up on finding an equivalent transaxle filter for my 455 and broke down and bought it from John Deere. I'm still steamed at having to pay $9.37 for the filter when I should find a Fram or STP equivalent for $4 or so. I found the oil filters for the Deere and Exmark at Autozone but not that gosh darned transaxle filter...

While at Deere I picked up 2 gallons of the Hygard transaxle fluid. The Travelers/Mystik J20D equivalent was exactly the same price at TSC, so I didn't see a benefit to changing at this point.

Thanks to all those who got back to me and PM'ed additional suggestion! Greatly appreciated!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back