Fuel%------1.5
Water------0
Antifreeze---?
Insolubles-----.2
TBN----------6.5
ISO Code-----17/17/14

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: globey
Did you run this oil for only 3K because of the coolant leak?

Yes, Blackstone said it was a good idea to change at around 3,000 miles due to a minor coolant leak.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Took a double hit from fuel aand coolant, and still looks half-decent. Tough oil!

I'm thinking that I have a leaky fuel injector. I plan to have them all changed soon. The dealer wants $153 each for them, so I'm looking elsewhere for them.

BTW, the filter I used was the EAO20. This is the third oil change on the same filter. I never emptied the filter, just changed the oil.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Have you always done 3,000 mile oil changes on this engine ?

I used to go 5,000 miles per change. I have to admit, it is too much fun to do it more often.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Are you going to deal with the coolant leak? Seems a waste to do 3k changes on SSO.....

I am not sure. It could be the head gasket. I have discussed this with the mechanic. He feels that the leak is so minor that installing a new gasket would not be very cost effective. I may have the head bolts retorqued in the mean time. What would you suggest?

Just wondering why the antifreeze % is left blank on the Blackstone report? I had them do a report recently and it was filled in. Thanks

I agree that on a car with this mileage, a HG replacement might not make sense. Starting by tightening down bolts would be good, and if that didn't work, I'd use a much cheaper oil (preety well any conventional) and keep changing at 2500-3500 mile intervals - see if you can drag the car out to 300k miles!

Harry,

Having turned wrenches for 30 years all I can say is if the H. Gasket is leaking, re-torquing it will probably not help for the long-term but it can be tried.

If the gasket has developed a leak, it probably has a runner in it or has seperation. The head might also need re-surfacing and should at least be checked when pulled.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Just wondering why the antifreeze % is left blank on the Blackstone report? I had them do a report recently and it was filled in. Thanks

I don't think it was blank, oftentimes they will put a ? in if it's borderline.

Originally Posted By: cmhj
Harry,

Having turned wrenches for 30 years all I can say is if the H. Gasket is leaking, re-torquing it will probably not help for the long-term but it can be tried.

If the gasket has developed a leak, it probably has a runner in it or has seperation. The head might also need re-surfacing and should at least be checked when pulled.

Thank you cmhj. I forgot to mention that the head gasket has already been changed once, that's why I have been thinking about a retorque. The deck was checked and proved to be true as was the head.

visually, the coolant level remains constant. If there is a leak, and by the UOA report there certainly appears to be, it is very minor. It bugs me though, that's why I am looking into resolving the problem.

Back