My open mind wants to try Royal Purple

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never used RP in my motor, but I would like to give it a try. Their Maxgear felt great in my tranny, but I settled on Redline MT-90 for it. I would like to make a few statements though -

There's more to life than UOA's!

Most people who buy RP are looking for extra horsepower. These people drive their car harder than those who could care less about hp in their commuting. So I can see why some UOA's may not be as good.

They advertise that their oil has a much higher film strength than other oils. If this would allow me to use a thinner oil with acceptable wear AND increase my gas mileage, that would be a good thing.

If you can feel a difference in the way your motor performs at the expense of a few ppm of wear, that's probably a good thing as well. I've read several testimonies that nothing ran smoother in their motor. If I enjoy driving my car more, it's worth it.

I think we make too much out of a few ppm of wear or a few bucks extra, if we could enjoy the ride more. Almost everyone here will not keep their car long enough for a few ppm of wear to matter.

In conclusion, I will have an open mind and will try this oil. If I like the way my motor runs with it and achieve acceptable wear, I will probably continue to use it. But, I refuse to judge it until I have felt the experience!

Last edited:
I have also tried RP's Max Gear in the diffs, and their Synthetic Max ATF in the tranny, but never their engine oil. It'll be interesting to hear your impressions.
I would like to see an oil analysis, though...

You don't have to pay attention to uninformed opinions. There is nothing wrong with RP. Enough people are using it to have surfaced any major problems. Problems people may have had and blamed on RP or any oil is like blaming the rain on the fact that you washed your car. There are too many other things involved in maintenance and performance to pin much of anything on the engine oil. We have run this stuff in the dyno room and had zero problems. That does not directly relate to daily drivers but a lot of daily drivers beat their cars around with little concern about the life of the engine. These boutique oils are usually pretty good products but never cheap in price. Just remember that if you start running RP in your car and your water pump fails then everyone will know you should have been using Mobil 1.

I have a similar opinion except for that its with Red Line. I have uses it for many years in different applications with excellent results. I too don't believe 100% in UOA's. And lets face it, most engines are going to last the same amount of time(excluding mechanical problems or neglect) when using synthetic lubes, regardless of brand choice. Unless there are alot of bad experiences with your specific vehicle I would say run whatever you think will give you what you are after.

As a former RP user who recently switched away, I'll just say......

1) I averaged about 1.3 mpg better (spread sheet calculated for every fill up ever made on my car) with RP 5w20 vs. MC 5w20.

2) The only reason I switched was the fact I needed to keep under 7,500 mile OCIs for warranty and my UOA showed RP was definitely overkill. Once my warranty is up, I'll go back and run it out to 12k-15k if UOAs verify it to be safe.

Originally Posted By: badtlc

1) I averaged about 1.3 mpg better (spread sheet calculated for every fill up ever made on my car) with RP 5w20 vs. MC 5w20.

How long of a time/mileage period did you monitor your MPG's with RP versus MC? Also, what car/motor was this with?

If we could get 1.3 MPG more from simply switching to RP, every manufacturer would, and so would we. A 1.3 MPG rise from similar oil viscosities is HUGE!

Originally Posted By: bamorris2

How long of a time/mileage period did you monitor your MPG's with RP versus MC? Also, what car/motor was this with?

Agreed ... To have that kind of impact on mileage would most likely mean that HTHS for RP is significantly lower than for MC, in this grade.

Originally Posted By: glxpassat

There's more to life than UOA's!

Agreed.
thumbsup2.gif
They are a valuable tool but can be over analysed and more importance can be placed on them than is really there. Such as someone with a 1950 Edsel not using an oil because it performed poorly in ONE 1995 Crown Vic. I also think to some degree people interpet varying aspects of the results differently. What to some may be an unacceptable XXX result may be fine to another person.

I have run a couple samples on past vehicles( with RP and with other oils )and never got anything bad or alarming back in the UOA's( sorry don't have any of them for RP - they went with the vehicles maintenance records when I sold them ). I have used RP so long and with such great results( muscle cars, drag cars, new vehicles, engines I built, etc... )that I don't feel the need to bother being honest. I don't run long OCI's however annymore so no real need to. If I was going to go 10K+ I would run a test once in a while to keep an eye on it more than likely.

Originally Posted By: glxpassat
If you can feel a difference in the way your motor performs - - - I've read several testimonies that nothing ran smoother in their motor.

That has always been one of the things I have loved about RP. The 100% noticeable difference in the motor vs conventional and even some other synthetic's and blends I have tried. The 1st time I use RP in an engine it never ceases to amaze me how much smoother it idles and accelerates. Swapping the diff's and tranny over as well makes it feel like the vehicle is gliding on ball bearings it moves so smooth. Yes, you don't notice it after a day or so and as long as you keep using it but that 1st swap on a vehicle = amazing.

As to MPG gains and power gains. I don't run RP for power gains. Frankly if you did get any it would be small. Even the claims RP provides on their site from various sources about power gains are not huge gains. Wasn't the biggest like 8-9 HP on a souped up Firebird/Camaro and it was when everything was swapped over? Don't recall them every saying pouring in RP is pouring in 20 HP.

I do run it for MPG gains however and absolutely see them. I can't compare RP to M1 as I don't run M1 but any vehicle I have swapped from conventional or a synthetic blend( Syntec blend or QS 4X4 blend )to RP oil has provided me a good .5-1 MPG gain. When the diff's and tranny are also swapped I have seen as much as a 2.5 MPG gain( 04 HEMI Ram - 1.5-2 MPG is more the norm ). I suspect any quality synthetic could do this to varying degrees not just RP however.

Certainly try it out with an open mind. If it doesn't work for you then try something else.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just posted a UOA on the analysis site. RP in a 2004 2.2L Ecotech. I took the sample at 6600 miles and they advised going to 7500. check it out

Originally Posted By: sHERM
I just posted a UOA on the analysis site. RP in a 2004 2.2L Ecotech. I took the sample at 6600 miles and they advised going to 7500. check it out

That is a decent report. In that post you asked about the Magnesium. The Magnesium is right where it should be.

I may be wrong here but isn't the 2.2L Ecotech famous for being hard on oil and using/burining oil? Seems to me I have read/heard that. Is this in a Saturn, other GM, SAAB,etc...????

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: bamorris2

I ran RP5w20 for the first 20,000 miles of my car. I've been running MC5w20 since. 2006 Mazda 6i 2.3L.

IMHO, it is overpriced when compared to other synthetics. I can get a good synthetic for half the price of any RP.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
I ain't puttin' no food colorin' in my motor.

And you think your darlin Mobil 1 EP doesnt have coloring in it? Go ahead and give Mobil a call and see if that golden brown coloring in M1 is naturally occuring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back