1998 Toyota Camry Sludge Engine oil change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, my friend have 1998 Toyota Camry I4 which is infamous for sludge. I look through the oil cap and sure it's not pretty. I don't know how bad is the sludge, maybe just coat a thin layer, maybe a lot, I don't know... If I want to help out with oil change, what should I do and what should I look for?

Choices:
1.) PP (my stash)
2.) QS Horsepower (my stash)
3.) Valvoline SynPower (my stash)
4.) Valvoline Maxlife Semi-Syn (need to buy)
5.) Pennzoil Dino (need to buy)

I don't mind to use more expensive syn oil as I got those on sale. I just worry if I use syn oil, will the sludge fall apart and cause problem which is what I don't want. Oil change history unknown... probably yearly or semi-yearly oil change b4... millage around 95000 miles. Thanks all!

Last edited:
Use Auto-RX following recommendations for heavy sludge. Then use syn oil after that.

PP would be good choice.

Try using Napa Gold or Purolator Pure One filters

Last edited:
You might want to keep the first few oil changes short then. Maybe 3,000-5,000 miles so the oil will have enough additives in it to work on the deposits.

+1 on the AutoRx, with Castrol GTX. We used to have a 98 Sienna, which we got used from my sister-in-law.

Using the AutoRx should slowly dissolve the sludge, based on what has been said here.

Personally, I'd be wary as if something happens to the engine due to the sludge, you don't want to be blamed for it.. My 2 cents...

That 4 cyl. is NOT the sludger. The 3.0 is the one that had the issue and only for several model years. That 4 cyl. is bullet-proof with average care as many get to OVER 250,000 miles! If there is sludge there, neglect is probably the cause? A diesel type oil such as DELO 10W-30 IS what I would use as this may clean it up somewhat. A little varnish coating, although annoying, is normal and immpossible to get rid of unless a high grade synthetic was used from day one.

On the Toyota/Lexus products, there is a baffle where you fill the oil at and if what you are seeing is that black thin (kind of gritty looking) coating on there, that is typical.

I have used Mobil 1 and now PP since my wife's RX330 was new. We had a 1999 Lexus ES300 prior to our RX and it had the same black coating as did my Mom's 1999 Camry.

On our RX, at the 90K interval, the shop pulled the valve cover and said the engine was very clean. So, I would advise you to pull the valve cover to get a good indication of if the engine has any sludge issues. As usual, YMMV.

Originally Posted By: Curtis Newton
On the Toyota/Lexus products, there is a baffle where you fill the oil at and if what you are seeing is that black thin (kind of gritty looking) coating on there, that is typical.

I have used Mobil 1 and now PP since my wife's RX330 was new. We had a 1999 Lexus ES300 prior to our RX and it had the same black coating as did my Mom's 1999 Camry.

On our RX, at the 90K interval, the shop pulled the valve cover and said the engine was very clean. So, I would advise you to pull the valve cover to get a good indication of if the engine has any sludge issues. As usual, YMMV.

100% correct! Most people think they have sludge and freak; when most times they do not.

sludgecap.jpg
THIS IS NOT SLUDGE!
This is a factory applied coating.

Kitto,

Like the others said is too FLUSH out the engine well and then convert to use a synthetic oil of your choosing. Many brands on the market that'll give that Toyota a good cleaning inside. My 89' Camry 4 cylinder has had/been useing Mobil 1 ever since I've been able to buy it.

Good luck,

Durango

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back