Diesel additive for long-term storage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use FP60 in a 2006 Dodge Cummins and now need to leave the truck sitting for 1-2 months. What is the best additive to use to prevent algae from growing, stabilize the fuel, etc.?

Anyone? Please help...I leave on a long trip in a week and a half and want to make sure my truck will be okay when I return.

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: ScotS
I use FP60 in a 2006 Dodge Cummins and now need to leave the truck sitting for 1-2 months. What is the best additive to use to prevent algae from growing, stabilize the fuel, etc.?

Do you really need it after only 2 months max?

There are additive that is specifically used the kill organism in Diesel like Kileem, etc. I forgot the rest of the name but you may want to ask this question in the diesel forums.

Diesel fuel is good for about six months, so don't worry about that.

You can buy a biocide at lots of shops, both truck supply and marine supply. I've used several brands and don't know if any are better than another. Use it as directed on the label. If have a good water removal fuel additive that is OK in your engine, run that for the tank before you store the truck. Bugs grow on the interface of the fuel and water in the tank, so remove any water that might have accumulated there even if it isn't causing a problem at this time. Then add the biocide. Fuel tanks always contain some water due to condensation from humid air and water that is suspended in fuel.

THe OP posted in March/April so he should be back form his trip by now. .. Perhaps he could reprot back on what worked or if he had any issues?

At our plant where we store lots of fuel for stand-by generator sets, keeping fuel for 10 years or more, we use BioBor JF made by Hammonds and sold at a lot of marine supply houses. BioBor JF also improves lubricity of the fuel.
We will be using a fuel stabilizer called Pri-D which also adds lubricity.
Most importantly for long term storage, do not have any bio-diesel fuel in the tank. The double bonds in the fatty acid methyl esters leads to very unstable fuel conditions and formation of varnish.
Try to store the truck with the fuel tank full to reduce the surface area exposed to atmospheric oxygen which will lead to peroxide formation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back