GC Green or ?? in 1980 FIAT 2.0L

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just gotten a new, to me of course, 1980 FIAT 124 Spider with a low mileage warmed over motor (Dual 40IDFs, 40-80 intake cam, Crane ignition, free flow exhaust
grin2.gif
) and I'm wondering if the good old GC Green is suitable or should I use my 60+ quart GC reserve for my newer vehicles.My main concern is with getting appropriate cam lubrication. From my reading, the new SM formulations aren't really appropriate for the old-tech flat tappet style cam on shim/bucket technology.

The PO always ran the traditional Castrol 20-50 and is now suggesting 15-40 HDEO as an alternative. I'm leaning towards a 5-40 HDEO if it's more appropriate than GC Green to help a little with colder-weather starting (the heat works real well unlike on brit cars).

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi,
Monster - Yes I would agree, a 5w-40 HDEO would be a good lubricant choice - so would a 15w-40 HDEO. I have owned a number of FIATs including a 124 Coupe (almost as good as a GTV)and a magic little 850 Coupe purchased new

I learned to drive in snow and ice in a FIAT Topolino in the mountains of NZ during the 1950s

Thanks for the suggestion and validation of the HDEO. Doug, it sounds like you've had a lot of experience with these Italian beasties in addition to your other experiences and expertiese and your recommendation carries a lot of weight with me.

A 5-40 HDEO is my most likely choice but the allure of the Green is mighty strong. My thoughts on it was that it was close to a 40 and might be robust enough for some year round running. And since I have enough to last for years... My main concern is with valve train wear. Even though it's an SL rated oil, does GC Green have sufficient AW ingredients as compared to a HDEO?

Thanks

Hi,
Monster - Yes, GC has sufficient AW ingredients for its purpose but in reality it does not really compare with a 5w-40 HDEO.
The HTHS vis. is most importantly suitably higher with the HDEO along with other "goodies"

I would use the GC in a more suitable application - your newer vehicles

I have a great love for all things Italian having been a member of their Track (Velodrome) Cycling training squad in the early 1960s. One lovely true "drivers" car I owned was an Alfa Romeo Guilia Super TI

FIAT have just released their new range here and the new "500" is a lovely little car - I think they have sold their first years supply allocation already. The Abarth version is already pre-sold

I think that the Fiatsi here stateside would kill to be able to get the new 500 here. They'd be perfect for city driving...maybe someday. Ah, Abarth version...

Except for the Alfa spiders, they are rare as hen's teeth around here, the sedan's especially. I've never seen a Guilia in the flesh but have read that they were great cars. Light, nimble & fun for their day.

Well, it looks like I'll take your suggestion and go with an HDEO. Maybe I can find some Rotella T synth 5-40 (I still have some issue with a 15 weight for cold weather starts & we're not past our last frost yet. The 2003 Silverado will continue to get the GC. I guess I'm set for the next 6 years or so for it.

Thanks for your time and the info.

BTW - are certain parts of the female swimsuit still optional at Airlie Beach? A co-worker sent me a very interesting postcard from there when she visited years ago.

Last edited:
Hi,
Monster - Swimsuits? - what swimsuits the girls don't wear them......??

Seriously the Airlie Beach Lagoon still allows bottomless "oops" topless sunbakers and it is pretty well controlled by the Lifesavers. Alcohol is banned around the Lagoon precinct so its a great recreational spot. Bird watching is encouraged and dirty old "people" get locked up

We have around six Porsches, three Maseratis, two Ferraris, a 124 Coupe and an Alfa Spider here. The holiday visitors bring the "posers" gear too to this small community

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back