Lexus RX330 complete brake job

Status
Not open for further replies.

PT1

Well the wifes RX330 is hitting 140k and needs rotors & pads all around. I notice Toyota uses these metal clips to hold the whole caliper & pad assembly together. I am used to the GM style carrier that bolts on and have never done the brakes on a Toyota vehicle. Any tips from you guru's on how to get the clips off? Should I buy new clips and anti squeak clips as well? How about the rotors & pads? Factory ones or Raybestos at 30% less $$? What about bleeding...power, pedal or gravity? What say you all? I am entering new territory here any pitfalls to beware of?

If the factory pads last a long time on this car, I would stick to them. Find out the part number for your vehicle and buy from a Toyota dealer. It is probably cheaper than the Lexus dealer. The new pads will come with shims. As far as rotors are concerned, I would go with Brembo blanks, Bendix, or Centric Premium. These can be bought online at RockAuto or any website that sells automotive parts.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Last edited:
Brembo is the factory supplier but they have not released the front rotors into aftermarket yet and only the Japan built ones for the rear. The centrics are actually more expensive than the on-line Lexus brand and there is no conversion chart from Toyota for the Lexus part numbers. I was wondering about the clips that hold the caliper assembly together. Do I need a special tool to remove them?

If they are like the Highlander or
Avalon, the clips come right off with fingers or a slight push from a hand tool. Toyota tech just laughed at me when I asked about replacing the shims and clips with new ones. "No, we just use the old ones", he said.

Originally Posted By: ChiTDI
If they are like the Highlander or
Avalon, the clips come right off with fingers or a slight push from a hand tool. Toyota tech just laughed at me when I asked about replacing the shims and clips with new ones. "No, we just use the old ones", he said.

That is what I thought but they are only $8 per axle so I'll get new ones while I'm at it. The rotors are the killer in price. The RX330 shares the Highlander manual so I'm sure it is the same setup. Just ordered one and waiting for it to arrive. The Lexus dealer said they replace all the clips so they don't rattle. Hmmmm. Maybe that is what you get for the upcharge over a standard Toyota product...
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: Spartuss
If the factory pads last a long time on this car, I would stick to them. Find out the part number for your vehicle and buy from a Toyota dealer. It is probably cheaper than the Lexus dealer. The new pads will come with shims. As far as rotors are concerned, I would go with Brembo blanks, Bendix, or Centric Premium. These can be bought online at RockAuto or any website that sells automotive parts.

I found the centric premiums at Rock Auto for a decent price. Have you used them before?

Originally Posted By: PT1
Originally Posted By: Spartuss

I found the centric premiums at Rock Auto for a decent price. Have you used them before?

They are good. All of the local shops around here use the Centric Premium rotors. They used to use Raybestos, but switched to Centric Premium rotors and the Posi-Quiet pads as they experience fewer comebacks.

After the 5% off coupon code on RockAuto, it comes to about $217 shipped for front and rear rotors. I would also go with their 105 series Ceramic pads.

You don't need to replace the hardware unless it is rusted and/or badly damaged. If you have been using aftermarket pads, stay with aftermarket pads because if you decide to use OE pads, you would have to buy another shim kit and they are very expensive.

Also, I would use a vacuum bleeder to change the fluid, but also use the old fashioned method (http://www.zeckhausen.com/bleeding_brakes.htm) afterwards as one-man bleeders do not do a very good job of removing all of the bubbles. This two-step process ensures the firmest pedal feel possible.

Where do I find the 5% off coupon code? As for the bleeding, my 9 year old daughter will be on the pedal
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Thanks! the page says it expires in 2004 but I'll try it.

No, scroll down. There are additional codes on that page. Here's the one you need:

Put that in the "how did you find out about us" field.

DEFINATELY CHANGE THE ABS FLUID!!!!

This board is about fluid maintenence after all. Check out Jegs High Performance mail order for one man bleeders, or suction bleeders for your application/fittings.

Fords Heavy Duty ABS Fluid seems to be very respected. I am not sure if your application is DOT 4 or 5?

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Thanks! the page says it expires in 2004 but I'll try it.

No, scroll down. There are additional codes on that page. Here's the one you need:

Put that in the "how did you find out about us" field.

Ok got it thanks again!
grin2.gif
and I always change the fluid with every brake service. This vehicle takes dot3 so I'll use synpower.

Last edited:
Has anyone here tried the Akebono ceramic pads?

I used them on my auto instructor's 2001 TL. They do seem to last a bit longer than OE and dust less. Some people also claim that they notice a slight improvement in stopping power, but some tests have proven otherwise.

They are just a bit pricey in my opinion, and I'm not sure if they are truly worth the additional cost over the premium pads sold by other brands.

Actually they are $3 cheaper than the OE pads so I thought I would give them a try. So I'm going to run the expensive pads on the cheap rotors?
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Actually they are $3 cheaper than the OE pads so I thought I would give them a try.

The Centric 100 series are relabeled OEM pads.

I just find the Akebonos to be far more expensive than the Raybestos Advanced Technology Ceramics, Wagner ThermoQuiets, and Centric Posi-Quiet Ceramics.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Actually they are $3 cheaper than the OE pads so I thought I would give them a try.

The Centric 100 series are relabeled OEM pads.

I just find the Akebonos to be far more expensive than the Raybestos Advanced Technology Ceramics, Wagner ThermoQuiets, and Centric Posi-Quiet Ceramics.

Maybe I'll try the centric pads. Lexus specs ceramic.

One thing, Lexus has 2 part numbers for the front rotors. One for Japan built and one for Canadian built. Centric has one part number for both. I called their customer service line and they said their part number is for both. What do you suppose that is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back