Formula Shell Full Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw this at [censored]'s Wholesale CLub today, 6 qt for $19.99. Might be intersted in putting it in my 02 Dodge Dakota SLT QuadCab 4x4 with the 4.7L V8. I have 102,000 on the odometer and have been using Valvoline MaxLife Syn for the last several oil changes. The engine is clean and has had no issues what so ever.

Anyone tried this Formula Shell Full Syn? $19.99 seems like a great deal for full syn, what do you all think?

I wouldn't argue anything other than there is nothing wrong with it.
Nice grab for 20 bucks
01.gif

Originally Posted By: ActiveWolf
Yes, it was B..J's Club.... I didnt think the BB Filter would censor that, lol.

How do I get the $4.60 rebate?

It should pop up on the register receipt and then can be submitted via the web.

i HATE mail-in rebates. but anyways, 20 bucks is a steal. thats $3.33/quart. good deal in my opinion. i'm interested in trying this oil... not sure how much it will cost around here though.

Is this oil fairly new? Not much info on the web about it when I googled.

Any reason why I couldn't/shouldn't switch to Formula Shell from a High Mileage oil (Maxlife Syn Blend) that I have been running for the last several OCI's?

Well it seems to me that the base oil is Shell's Extra High Viscosity Index (XHVI) which is a very good product.
And since Shell owns Pennzoil, I think Pennzoil Platinum uses the same stock. I'm sure I saw it on BITOG.
Johnny Pennzoil would likely know.

Johnny says'
Quote:
It's a very good product. It is a Group III synthetic with a Infinium additive package using Shell VI improvers which are some of the best out there. I would have no problem at all using this oil 7.5k to 9k oil changes. That's miles, not kilometers.

Originally Posted By: old farmer
Well it seems to me that the base oil is Shell's Extra High Viscosity Index (XHVI) which is a very good product.
And since Shell owns Pennzoil, I think Pennzoil Platinum uses the same stock. I'm sure I saw it on BITOG.

Don't believe the Group III in the Formula Shell Synthetic is the XHVI base stock. I believe Shell only uses that in the Rotella T Synthetic 5W40.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Originally Posted By: old farmer

Don't believe the Group III in the Formula Shell Synthetic is the XHVI base stock. I believe Shell only uses that in the Rotella T Synthetic 5W40.

.....I see. Do you think it is still a good product despite that?

I think I have read TOO much on this site.

I really want to try this FormulaShell. Would it be a problem to go to this Full Syn on a truck with 102k? All I have used in the last 60k has been a Syn Blend (Valvoline DuraBlend/MaxLife Blend). Will I see a performance improvement? FYI, the engine has no issues so far as I can tell, runs like a champ other than poor mpg.

should not be a problem. If you do not have leaks now you should not have leaks after starting with syn.

It has been said that if used mineral oil the life of the vehicle then switched to syn, that the synthetic will "clean up" the varnish that the mineral oil left behind on seals and stuff and you *might* get leaks where as the mineral oil was sort of like a band aid and sealed them up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back