VW TDI diesel 505.01 oils, preferred?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, Bjorn,

Thanks for the info. I deleted the TXT SJ/CF specs from my chart since I no longer use that oil and it is not available here (Hawaii) anymore. I have only three liters remaining of what I think is the TXT SL/CF oil. Its specs are somewhat different: kinetic viscosity at 40 deg C = 85 cSt and at 100 deg C = 14.2 cSt, with PP = -31 deg C. I'll use up the last of this oil, along with some 5W-30 Castrol SLX OE Pro, in about 5000 miles when my next oil change is due. Incidentally, the newer TXT is no long available here, either. The VW dealer stocks only the Castrol SLX for 505.01 use now. Once my TDI PD is out of warranty I expect to start using Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic 5W-30 which is allegedly 505.01 compliant. But that's 15000 miles away. . . .

Cheers, Mark

I believe that Schaeffers has tested it against the 505.01 spec and found that it exceeds the performance requirements. But they have not gone to the trouble or expense to get their oil on the official VW/Audi approved oil list, much like Amsoil and Valvolines' 5W-40 Euro spec oils. The Schaeffers would be my first choice in this application considering the performance, value. Very stout oil with excellent add pack. Schaeffers can be ordered at excellent prices such as mentioned above when you get free shipping with a min $300 order. Sometimes you can get lucky and find a local dealer who will sell smaller quantities at lower prices too. Amsoil and Valvoline would be second choices for me for 505.01 oils.

Originally Posted By: XS650
Originally Posted By: 1sparrow
Schaeffer 9000 5w-40 is VW 505 01

Why isn't it on VWs list?

It is on Shaeffers containers, You may have a old list.

Originally Posted By: XS650
Schaeffer 9000 5w-40 is VW 505 01

Why isn't it on VWs list?

It is on Shaeffers containers, You may have a old list.

OOPS: Sheffers Exceeds VW 505.01 test, But.. not on the list!(Approved by VW) Sorry for the misinformation. (IT is still my horse.)I ran Rotella T 5w40 six+ years with no problem, Also not on the list or any clam to exceed VW 505.01 test. You also must consider I am still on the original clutch at 152,000.LOL
Merry Christmas

I'll probably go with the Long Life III 507 oil for my next change, and run it for 10,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: ddawg
Gentlemen:
Can you help with clarification here? I have a 2005 Jetta 1.9 PD Diesel wagon and I live in Minnesota. I have read comments about AMSOIL European Blend, Valvoline SYNPWR, Motul, Elf and Pentosin. Am I correct in assuming that all of these meet the 505.01 standard?
ddawg

A basic question is whether you have concerns regarding your warranty and if any engine damage will be repaired under the warranty based on the oil you used.

VW issues a letter to each oil company who have submitted samples for testing and meet the 505.01 minimum standards. Use an oil that is not on VW's list of approved oils and VW can possibly refuse warranty coverage for oil related damage.

Unfortunately, a number of oil manufacturers, distributors and the like advertise their oil as "...meets or exceeds VW 505.01 standard..." and affix labels on the containers stating the same. However, they have not submitted samples to VW for testing and therefore have never received a letter from VW acknowledging VW's approval. The old Latin saying "Caveat Emptor" (buyer beware) is a good watchword.

If you have any concerns of whether a particular oil is on VW's lists, you could ask the dealer or do a search at TDIClub.com for the most recent list.

dawg:

Can't seem to be able to post the entire list. However, of the brands you mentioned, these are on VW's 505.01 list as of 9/11/07 available in the US.

ELF Excellium DID 5W40 ELF Solaris LSX 5W30
Motul Specific 505.01 5W40
Pentosin Pentosynth HC 5W40
Valvoline Synpower MST 5W30
Valvoline Durablend Diesel 5W40

Castrol SLX 505.01 5W40
Castrol SLX Professional OE 5W30
Quaker State Diesel Plus 5W40
Pennzoil Platinum European Ultra Diesel 5W30 are some of the other 505.01 oils you might find.

AMSOIL is not on their list with any oil.

Originally Posted By: Fahrfuwerfuelen
dawg:

Can't seem to be able to post the entire list. However, of the brands you mentioned, these are on VW's 505.01 list as of 9/11/07 available in the US.

ELF Excellium DID 5W40 ELF Solaris LSX 5W30
Motul Specific 505.01 5W40
Pentosin Pentosynth HC 5W40
Valvoline Synpower MST 5W30
Valvoline Durablend Diesel 5W40

Castrol SLX 505.01 5W40
Castrol SLX Professional OE 5W30
Quaker State Diesel Plus 5W40
Pennzoil Platinum European Ultra Diesel 5W30 are some of the other 505.01 oils you might find.

AMSOIL is not on their list with any oil.

Who said it was? Amsoil doesn't care to be listed. Probably the same with Schaeffer's. Here's the later version:
2131781670_5f625629b6_o.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back