Oil Recommendation for Honda K20Z3 engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone.
First Id like to say that this forum is one of the most enlightening forums I have ever visited. I truly enjoy all the information that can be found on here.
My question is this past august I purchased a new Civic Si. This is my first high revving engine and I need some help with a recommended oil. First off FYI I live in Central PA, so it gets cold here but it is not driven much in the wintertime. I soon plan to get my ECU reflashed and thus allowing an 8600 RPM redline as opposed to the normal 8200. I do not drive my car hard on a daily basis, nor do I take it close to the redline daily.
My overall choices are
Currently using Royal Purple
Considering: GC 0w-30
Amsoil- 5w-30 or SSO 0w-30
Mobil 1 5-w30
Pennsoil platinum 5w-30

Any others that someone would recommend for me?

Personally i would Use Amsoil 5-30
but tis hella expensive IMO.
My other choices would be M1 and PP since they are easily obtained in Wall-Mart

Many New Si owners use M1 and love it.

M1/PP/Amsoil would be my top 3. Can't go wrong with any of them.
cheers3.gif

Does your car burn any oil?
many Si owners say they burn about a quart of oil between their 3k mile oil change intervals

Yeah looks like it burns about a quart or so. Its been about 3500 so far since last oil change. Also car has about 7500 miles on it so far.

Some say the consumption will decrease but that may not be true for everyone. I would stick with the cheapest in price synthetic oil like PP, M1 in this case.

Every time u are a quart low u have to add new oil which will "beef up" the old oil to some point.

M1 or PP
Get whatever you prefer

I've used many brands in my 07 Si. All ate oil except for Redline. I've stuck with that oil and uses very little between changes. 15,000 miles on my rig.

I will try Amsoil next as it is available locally for me and see how that does. If it still consumes oil then ill try redline and if theres no luck there ill just used PP or M1 since its cheaper and ill be able to pick it up no problem locally.

M1 and PP are fine. I use Amsoil. Anything will work, but if you rev your engine like I do, I would definitely recommend sticking to synthetics.

What mods do you have planned? The reason I ask is that the Hondata reflash will decrease overall power without at least an upgraded intake/header/exhaust. You are sacrificing low-/mid-range torque for high-end power, which is not worth it in my opinion. The K20 has low torque to begin with, relatively speaking.

Also, K20s are not indestructible, and definitely not as strong as the F20/F22. 8600rpms is not a healthy number for an engine with stock internals. A couple 8thcivic.com members have reported smashing valves with the Hondata reflash. Being naive, they can't believe that would happen since Hondata does so much testing, "they wouldn't have released the reflash if they knew this could happen".

I say, save your money for suspension modifications. The Si's strong point is handling prowess, not power, and the LSD combined with a tuned suspension will cut through corners faster than the competition. You don't need more speed, really.

My friend has a 06 Rsx-s and he's been using amsoil 5w-30 and he seems to like it, said it feels smoother and gets slightly better mileage than when he used german castrol. Fantastic engine though.

I ran GC in my base RSX, but ti was a lil thick. I would definately try German Syntec in the Si engine. It would be apparently a perfect match. A thick 30 in a version that calls for a 30 weight. Consummption was lower with GC than most any other oil I used in other cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back