Auto-Rx, cleaning phase, 2004 Taurus - Vulcan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I planned on using my Auto-Rx in my 2001 F150 until gas shot up to $3.50 a gallon. So, the F150 is parked until further notice and my 2004 Taurus SE is back on the road.

I bought this car with 35,000 on the clock and she now has 64,500. I have faithfully changed the oil/filter every 3,000-3,500 miles with Motorcraft 5w20 and a FL400S. I just changed my oil and used SuperTech 5w20 and a FL400S and dumped a bottle of Auto-Rx in. With 0 miles the oil was clear on the dipstick. Now, I have around 350 miles and the oil is beginning to slightly darken into a real light yellowish/brown. It is still clean looking but definitely already changing colors.

I plan on running the cleaning phase for 2,500 miles per Auto-Rx instructions and rinsing with either SuperTech 5w20 or Valvoline 5w20 and then returning to the Motorcraft 5w20.

I plan on cutting the filters open and sharing some pictures of them after the cleaning and rinse phases.

The motor has a VERY slight oil leak from what appears to be the rear main or in that general area. I am interested to see if this disappears.

I have a second bottle of Auto-Rx that I plan on using as a maintenance dose and I will be ordering more later this year to continue that program.

My daughter's 91 Vulcan responded well to Auto-Rx. Great engine. It would consume oil by the hour of operation, or so it seemed anyway. It reduced it to months between adds. I've got the car back now and I'm doing another treatment since it's now got nearly 40k more on it since we've owned it ($300 beater). I probably should have done back to back treatments before.

Only 65K miles? You haven't broken that engine in yet. You've got a good 200k left in the Vulcan. That's the "little engine that could". ARX it now; mainteance treatments throughout; near infinite life with a Vulcan.

I also experienced an oil consumption issue with my Vulcan. I suspect highly that it was related to my poor compression issues resulting some from "mistreatment" by a borrower of the vehicle a few years ago.

I've just completed my treatment phase, and I'm now in the rinse phase. I'm very excited to see just how well the engine will respond overall with regard to fuel and oil comsumption. The compression restoration with ARX was nothing short of stunning, to say the least.

I have a small oil consumption problem. I thought that if I switched to a 5w30 it would probably slow down or disappear. It consumes around 1/4-1/3 of a quart of Motorcraft 5w20 during 3,000-3,500 miles.

We just traded my other half's 2002 Taurus in with 90,000 on it. We had it for around 30,000. When we first got it, it was consuming oil at the same rate mine is. I switched it to Valvoline 5w30 conventional and that problem stopped.

With the awesome reports Motorcraft 5w20 has, I am hesitant to stop using it and switch to Valvoline conventional. I know both are stellar oils but I had wanted to have a long term, high mileage usage of Motorcraft 5w20.

dnewton3,

I am impressed with the application that you performed on your vulcan. Compression restoration was outstanding, running the ARX.
From pictures you provided of the top end of the motor, it was seemgly spotless. However obviously ring packs weren't. Keep us posted on the economy gains from the restored compression. I would think that the smoothness of the motor must be greatly improved. Any comment?

Originally Posted By: PW01
You might consider back-to-back treatments to deal with that leak.

As in Clean - Rinse - Clean - Rinse? Or Clean - Clean - Rinse?

Gotcha. I will see how this first phase does then go from there. I plan on doing a maintenance does from now on anyway.

Yes, I too believe Clean-Rinse-Clean-Rinse-Maintenance is the best strategy.

I did a double-dose (with half mileage) clean. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS AS THE CONVENTIONAL APPROACH. It was a controlled experiment at the request of GA and Frank, and we collaborated greatly to make sure we limited and tracked all variables.

The more I learn about this product, the more I'm convinced that a single dose application would have likely achieved the same results, but it would have necessitated running out the cleaning application to the full range. I'm much more a fan of a slower, methodical cleaning versus a "blast". The rinse phase is just as important, too. Don't rush things with ARX; it's works GREAT if you give it the opportunity to prove itself.

There is no question that a clean rinse clean rinse mode will perform best, on a two bottle application of either a high mileage motor or very dirty young motor. The slow methodical cleaning of ARX works first on key engine parts, frictional surfaces, where heat and oil flow are at the highest level. The rinse is important so as not to overload the host oil with contaminants during any of the phases of the application.

It's like washing your hands after working under the hood. The first attempt at cleaning your hands, then rinsing usually shows a spot ot to that you missed.

Originally Posted By: Rick20

It's like washing your hands after working under the hood. The first attempt at cleaning your hands, then rinsing usually shows a spot ot to that you missed.

That's a great analogy. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back