Who Currently has the best DINO OIL??

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I am debating if I should switch out my good old Castrol GTX 5w-30 to something else...There are so many to choose from when I walk into wal-mart...Pennzoil, Valvoline, Quaker State, Castrol, Havoline, Shell, Mobil

All the dino oils cost about $10 per 5quart jug...is there another brand out there worth switching to than my current Castrol GTX?

Its kinda hard to choose the best oil without knowing what application its used in. Any dino oil with a API donut and SL or SM rating will do well in most application. That said, I am partial towards Havoline and Pennzoil.

Pennzoil conventional is highly regarded here, and the new Havoline looks like a good oil too.

Pennzoil, Quaker State, Valvoline, Castrol and Havoline all have their own little advantages and disadvantages but are pretty close.

The Havoline starts out thinner than most of these oils, but after being run holds onto its viscosity better. More consistent oil.

The Pennzoil has really good base oils and a strong additive package, when in doubt grab the yellow bottle.

Castrol's oil seems to be geared towards being a high temperature oil, and for certain additives like calcium is packing as much punch as the Pennzoil.

The Valvoline and Quaker State seem to be pretty middle of the line. I've never liked the green bottle, personal preference, but I do like Valvoline. It just seems like such a straight, simple, safe choice in oil and from what I have read, out of 5W-30 conventionals is the best from cold starts. It looks delicious, as well.

Really, it's a matter of preference.

Last edited:
Skip the Wal-Mart and shop at your neighborhood family-owned parts store. Buy whatever name brand oil they have on sale that meets your specs. Or buy your Castrol GTX. Even if you spend a dollar or two more you will be supporting your local economy. Avoid Wal-Mart or one day that will be your only choice!

Originally Posted By: MGregoir
The Valvoline and Quaker State seem to be pretty middle of the line.

Man ... putting Valvoline in the same sentence as Quaker State is just plain wrong.
56.gif

pennzoil...but i would put any API oil in my engine, they are all acceptable...[censored] owners who dont change their oil or check it are the problem

why would any of you place quaker state any lower on a spectrum than pennzoil?

i like the green bottle

i think at the end of the day they are all more or less the same. try 2 oci's on each and see which "feels" best in your engine. or just buy the one that you can get cheapest.

down there in the US of A you guys can get pretty much any dino in 5 qt jugs for about 10 bucks. up here its 16 or 17 bucks anywhere you go. except the walmart closest to my store has QS for 10.98 so thats great.

Originally Posted By: deven
Its kinda hard to choose the best oil without knowing what application its used in. Any dino oil with a API donut and SL or SM rating will do well in most application. That said, I am partial towards Havoline and Pennzoil.

this will go into an 05 toyota camry 2az-fe 4 banger....the manual recommends 5w-30

i know the 07+ 2az-fe 4 banger calls for 5w-20...but i heard that the newer gen 2az-fe is a little different in terms of design...that is why it allows 5w-20

I know that this doesn't really matter here. But, my father has used nothing but Castrol GTX in his 93 Ford Explorer with 4.0 V6. The SUV has 320,000 miles on it now, and still runs great. All original motor, the trainy was replaced at about 130k but besides that, it runs great.

It sees a lot of towing and off-road 4x4ing during hunting seasons in mountainous conditions.

The motor still looks good when replacing head cover gasket about 30k ago.

Pennzoil - but your choice of any of the others would do no harm to your engine. Another in the same price mix that wasn't mentioned is the five quart jug of Motorcraft at the Wall Of China.

Originally Posted By: steven88

this will go into an 05 toyota camry 2az-fe 4 banger....the manual recommends 5w-30
i know the 07+ 2az-fe 4 banger calls for 5w-20...but i heard that the newer gen 2az-fe is a little different in terms of design...that is why it allows 5w-20

06+ 2azfe have extra oil jets in them and couple other changes to use Xw20 oils.

Quote:
Pennzoil - but your choice of any of the others would do no harm to your engine. Another in the same price mix that wasn't mentioned is the five quart jug of Motorcraft at the Wall Of China.

++

Pennzoil would be my first choice but I've run smaller regional oils such as Brad Penn with good results also. They are all pretty decent or they wouldn't still be in business.

Im really digging GTX 5W30 in both Tacoma and Jetta. The Jetta is getting better gas mileage although i dont know if it has anything to do with Auto rx. I was running 5W40 Syntec which gave her car only 25mpg...sad, now its getting alittle over 30mpg. Ill be courious once i start the rinse phase. The Tacoma hasnt changed much.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Camu Mahubah
Skip the Wal-Mart and shop at your neighborhood family-owned parts store. Buy whatever name brand oil they have on sale that meets your specs. Or buy your Castrol GTX. Even if you spend a dollar or two more you will be supporting your local economy. Avoid Wal-Mart or one day that will be your only choice!

I agree. You can usually find oil change specials with name brand oils for 12-14 bucks, including filter, at a local parts store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back