New Bridgestone G019 Grid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at these as my Fall tires instead of the G-009s I wanted. Cost is about $10 more, with G-009 looking like a bargain at $75. There are a lot to choose from, but I'm willing to take a chance on them since I have snows if I need them.

I had G-009s for a few weeks, nice handling, good quality. Bridgestone makes tight tires w/good ride and wear, grip is meh.

BStoneG019.jpg

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Bridgestone makes tight tires w/good ride and wear, grip is meh.

Which Bridgestone in particular did you find to have poor grip? You may have to move up to a different category to improve grip (usually at the expense of wear and comfort though).

The G019 should be a slight improvement over the G009. So if you were set on the G009, you should be happy with the G019. Let us know how you like it. I still haven't decided whether my next tire will be UHP summer or UHP all-season with longer wear. My Dunlops SP Maxx are almost shot after 16k miles.

Potenzas and Turanzas I've had just aren't up to the grip levels of comparable tires. I remeber the RE750s I put on my new B6, they were downright dangerous in snow and not great in wet. Michelins are pretty hairy at times. I'm kind of in limbo on brands now. Yoko H4s were nice handling, but poor in wet and bad in snow and the TRZs seemed great, but I have that cupping problem. Dunlops are usually ok, but there are no products since A2s that I have wanted enough to buy. My Eagle Response are quite good, but 'spensive. My Kumhos ASX are pretty good, poor wear and I have a jiggle in one. The one outstanding tire I've used in the last few years are Conti Extremes. It's them or the BStones. Mechanic is a BStone guy, but pokes fun at the wet grip. "'Stones", he calls them.

I liked the Yoko H4S quite a bit, and didn't think it was poor in the wet, but to be honest, I didn't drive it through torrential rains either.

The only B-stone I had was the S-03 which was excellent in both dry and wet, alas that's a summer-only tire. G/f has the RE960 on her Jetta - I drove on it a little but wasn't able to really push it (since she was sitting right next to me :)), so it's hard for me to judge its true capabilities.

From Dunlop, people used to rave about the SP5000, but it's an old technology now. I'm guessing the ContiExtreme would be better in comparison.

They seem pretty heavy glancing at some of the weights at Tirerack. Might not be a problem on a V8 with some torque, though they could be sluggish on a 4 cyl.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Potenzas and Turanzas I've had just aren't up to the grip levels of comparable tires. I remeber the RE750s I put on my new B6, they were downright dangerous in snow and not great in wet.

Did you ever realize your RE750's were summer tires not all-seasons
crazy2.gif
And yes its known that ALL summer tires are downright dangerous in the the snow and temps somewhere below 40F.

This is an interesting tire. The price for 235-45-17s are really good too at $124. They will definitely be on my watch list.

I just mounted my non-winter 17s with Falken 912s. Great tires so far and quieter than my 16" winter tires. Drove through the mountains of W. Virginia and the car felt sure footed. Never reached their limits even though I was pretty aggressive around some of those corners. I have heard 912s wear quickly though.

I checked the 912s on the REAR of my friend's 100. One season later, they are at like 3/32nds.

They seem nice but Id rather pay a few dollars more for something with AA traction and a better compound like the RE960. This is a compromise to help the cost of the tire, and I don't like compromises :) It sure looks a lot better though than the G009.

i actually placed an order for these this upcoming monday. here the e-mail i sent tirerack about them.

Rudy Riedel The Tire Rack

"I would recommending going with the Bridgestone Potenza RE019 grid. The new tire has a wider footprint when compared to the same size G009 for improved cornering response. Also they have added more silica to the Tread compound for even better wet traction. It also uses a computer optimized tread pattern for reduced noise."

I'm pretty happy with the Potenza G009 tires, now have 49k miles and enough tread for another 10-15k miles. Had good grip in the rain this past winter, and on snow during a Christmas roadtrip to the Midwest. They are getting quite noisy, however.

The G019's should be as good or better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back