SuperTech Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the general consensus on SuperTech oil? Is it a good oil that offers enough protection for daily driving on both city and highway? Any problems reported to any engine or transmission using SuperTech oil?

I would like to hear from those who personally use SuperTech oils, but anyone is welcome to say what they want.

for only a couple of bucks more i have a name brand oil that has been around for a long time.
I wouldn't go with supertech oil unless it was an old beater seeing its last days.

on the other hand it has to pass most if not all regulations in order for it to be even sold so i think you can run it for 3k miles with no problems

I use Supertech ATF+4 in the tranny. I came on here asking about it a while back and everyone said it should be just fine because they have to meet a certain set of specs to be able to label it as +4. I think it's a little different for motor oil though. I wouldn't feel too comfortable putting Supertech 15w-40 in my engine.

Well, it seems to be manufacturer approved for a lot of applications, and is API SM/ILSAC GF-4.

If it meets the requirements for your application, I would bet it is safe if used as recommended. If they say 3750 miles, and it's approved, use it 3750 miles. If they say 5000 miles, use it 5000 miles.

I really haven't heard anything negative about it, and I am sure if it was motor destroying hellspawn made of sand and Chinese toothpaste, we would have heard about it by now.

You get what you pay for and it will perform as advertised, I would think.

Last edited:
Unlike the OP, I'd be more likely to use the engine oil, but not the transmission fluid. Transmissions are more expensive and "picky".

Originally Posted By: Titan
Unlike the OP, I'd be more likely to use the engine oil, but not the transmission fluid. Transmissions are more expensive and "picky".

I'm not doing a "pro" or "con" against Wal-Mart on this post. But since you brought it up, what examples have you had with a certain brand of tranny oil making a trannsmission "picky"?

As far as the expensive part, I've seen a few engines that were expensive also.

Originally Posted By: lancerplayer
What is the general consensus on SuperTech oil? Is it a good oil that offers enough protection for daily driving on both city and highway? Any problems reported to any engine or transmission using SuperTech oil?

I would like to hear from those who personally use SuperTech oils, but anyone is welcome to say what they want.

If the search feature is working again, there should be tons of threads/posts on Supertech use.

Yes it offers "enough" protection doing timely OCIs. There are multiple posters here who use it exclusively for over 200K so far.

Better buys are sales in your area auto parts/super stores. Stock up on those bargains. Buy enough for an entire year. Use brand names whenever possible -- house brands are generally a step-down from the famous brands like Castrol, Valvoline, Havoline, Pennzoil, Motorcraft.....etc.

Honda Transmissions greatly prefer the genuine Honda brand ATF. You can tell the difference in shift quality.

or purchase supertech at your convenience at wal mart while you do your other shopping.a supertech filter is perfectly adequate too. 2 years now on Super tech ATF and I cant tell a difference.

If a national brand is reason for jollies, have at it. the bargain hunt is great sport for some.

In the simplest terms, Super tech is an easy way to go.
other auto incidentals are priced well on a daily basis at walmart also.

a 5k oci is within reason

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Honda Transmissions greatly prefer the genuine Honda brand ATF. You can tell the difference in shift quality.

That's because Honda uses ATF-Z1, which you can't get anywhere else. It's not the brand.

Originally Posted By: FZ1

+1 Not only do Honda transmission prefer I believe it is called ATZ-1 fluid with a big Honda label on it but it is imperative you get new fluid in within the first 30-35k to get all the shavings gunked up on the filler bolt. After that, your next ATF D&F will require you remove and replace the ATF filter along with the Z1 fluid so Honda trannys are REAL PICKY and thus a lot more work for anovice DIYs. (and in the case of removing the ATF filter, that ain't gonna be a DIY, atleast not for me..) *groan*

Hey OP, I just used a Super Tech oil filter for my drop I did this morning and would use it again in a pinch but never the Super tech oil. BITOG proved there are way better choices. Just sit back and read..

Last edited:
yes i've used it from time to time in my old explorer and f-150, no problems with it, i just noticed that it turns black a bit quicker but i guess that doesn't really mean anything anyways :)

I've been using the High Mileage 10w40 now and then as well when it was cheaper, now that the prices are up i'll probably be buying HDEO oil instead

I have no problem using any of the SuperTech products. As my truck ages my desire to spend money on it decreases, with these gas prices I ain't keeping it forever! For people with high mileage vehicles or who don't drive them until the wheels fall off I see no problem doing the recommended service with SuperTech products. We haven't seen a rash of problems encountered by guys using SuperTech (or any other specific oil for that matter) and the UOAs/VOAs my untrained eyes have looked at seem comparable to similar products offered by other brands. If the SuperTech motor oil, transmission fluid, gear oil or antifreeze meets your car's specs I see no reason not to use it and save a few bucks. That is not to say that I think these products are the "best" or "top shelf" or any other corn ball phrase that gets thrown around here every other day. I do think they will do the job and when changed at sane intervals should keep your car running longer than you'll want the thing.

st is a good brand...i think mobil makes there 5-30 and WPP makes their 5-20....blackstone said ST does about as well as any other oil they test...i have never had any problems with it

Here are my comments from Blackstone in regards to various engine oils when I switched from M1 EP & 12K miles to a UOA of PP @ 5K miles.

Quote:
We have found that brand doesn't really make much of a difference in how an engine wears -- it's mostly how you drive it, and how much metal it tends to make, that determines how long you can run the oil.

PP and EP have about the same density. Did they "feel" about same in your car?

It's been about six months since I looked at this - but at that time the UOAs in BITOG on SuperTech were very nice. Though the OCIs weren't that long - 7k was the longest I remember, and most were well under 5k.

Originally Posted By: chet2
st is a good brand...i think mobil makes there 5-30 and WPP makes their 5-20....blackstone said ST does about as well as any other oil they test...i have never had any problems with it

Not sure where you think you heard that but the bottom of any bottle will say Warren made it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back