M1 0W40...GM 6.0L....24,000 miles OMG!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I'd love to see Delvac 1 would hold up under this kind of abuse.

I think that this is one service where even the heralded D1 would be mortally wounded. This guy needs a secondary career in failure analysis.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Quote:
I'd love to see Delvac 1 would hold up under this kind of abuse.

I think that this is one service where even the heralded D1 would be mortally wounded. This guy needs a secondary career in failure analysis.

Could be, the 0w-40 probably started going downhill at 15k. If anything D1 would have had less burn off than M1 0w-40 and the TBN probably would have held up a tad better as well.

Originally Posted By: pbm

He should at least throw a bottle of BARSLEAKS in the radiator to slow/stop the coolant leak.

You would think by now GM would have hired some engineers who know something about gasketing.

Well this engine is for one not known for any gasket failure related to coolant. No matter what no engineer could even predict their product would be abused this way no matter what fails. I honestly see no reason another engine from another automaker would look any better after this turmoil.

Last edited:
It's one big vicious cycle-I don't think there is an oil made that would have survived this drain interval under these conditions. The worse it got, the faster it got worse.

I honestly think this is the result of dirt ingestion and then a nearly constantly bypassing oil filter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: REDDOG
It's one big vicious cycle-I don't think there is an oil made that would have survived this drain interval under these conditions. The worse it got, the faster it got worse.

I honestly think this is the result of dirt ingestion and then a nearly constantly bypassing oil filter.

I'm debating the finacial commitment to putting an aforementioned synthetic in there with say a M1 filter and with the new air filter see what happens... He doesn't care and my concern is fading but we may all get some info for future use..

It is interesting, at the very least! The Amsoil or D1 will stand it about as long as any, either would be a good choice depending on what you want to spend/availability.

Thanks alot for the post, it has generated much good discussion and I appreciate your efforts. Wish the truck owner appreciated them as much!

REDDOG

Like I mentioned earlier:

Amsoil SSO Oil.
thumbsup2.gif

Amsoil EAO Oil Filter.
thumbsup2.gif

And also: An Amsoil EAA Air Filter.
thumbsup2.gif

01.gif

Originally Posted By: tpitcher

Amsoil SSO Oil.
thumbsup2.gif

Amsoil EAO Oil Filter.
thumbsup2.gif

thumbsup2.gif

01.gif

What am I looking at $$$$$$$ wise here???

Get ahold of Pablo or Gary Allan or call Amsoil - I am not sure, but about 60 for the oil, 10 for the filter & 40 for the air filter (just blow it out & put it back in). All will last a long time...................................

Go for it!
banana2.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Bambam

Amsoil SSO Oil.
thumbsup2.gif

Amsoil EAO Oil Filter.
thumbsup2.gif

thumbsup2.gif

01.gif

Approx Retail Pricing ($10-$20 PC will be about 20-30% less)

Amsoil SSO Oil = 6 qts = $60

Amsoil EAO Oil Filter = EAO32 = $15

And also: An Amsoil EAA Air Filter = EAA123 = $47

HOWEVER - I REALLY RECOMMEND A FEW SHORT INTERVALS AS A MINIMUM or AutoRx before another "extended" oil change.

Quote:
I changed the airfilter after this sample(1st time for this motor).

Before you switch oils, you should run it again to see if the Si of 43 is causing the problem. I don't think the oil is the problem here. SSO would be a great choice, but M1 0w40 is a very long drain oil.

I'll even second the first part of buster's comments.

At least get him to do 2 or 3 quick lube changes in a short period....and sample the last one or something.

OR Just walk the heck away and chalk it up as stupidity.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

At least get him to do 2 or 3 quick lube changes in a short period....and sample the last one or something.

I'll do the 2 quickie oc's...For bragging rights and a harsh test for AMSOIL it might be worth it? As long as my wife doesn't find out...
whistle.gif

I'll do the 2 quickie oc's...For bragging rights and a harsh test for AMSOIL it might be worth it? As long as my wife doesn't find out...
whistle.gif

Sounds like a plan. Check the air intakes make sure there are no leaks. Si of 43 is high. Dirt = WEAR.

Amsoil SSO Oil.
thumbsup2.gif

Amsoil EAO Oil Filter.
thumbsup2.gif

thumbsup2.gif

01.gif

Approx Retail Pricing ($10-$20 PC will be about 20-30% less)

Amsoil SSO Oil = 6 qts = $60

Amsoil EAO Oil Filter = EAO32 = $15

And also: An Amsoil EAA Air Filter = EAA123 = $47

HOWEVER - I REALLY RECOMMEND A FEW SHORT INTERVALS AS A MINIMUM or AutoRx before another "extended" oil change.

*** Finally gettin' this thing done: PRICELESS !!

Originally Posted By: vlado11
chromium is low at 0.5, try 50k next time

I agree! Besides the low chromium, silver is zero. Wear is low.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back