No dsl service....

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's new service. I used the service the first 2 weeks,then comp messed up.Hooked up 2 other ones,one freshly formatted,called tech service,pinged site,"host unreachable,used a new replacement modem.NOTHING!! tech says i do have service.I have tried everything from the driver cd to troubleshoot.Checked evrything.What the heck is going on?!?!?! Is it possible that something between the telephone pole and the apt bldg. is screwed up? We did have a very brief power outage that messed up my first comp.no Surge supp.

Does it sync up if you plug the modem in at the telephone network interface? (Even an apartment building should have a telephone network interface).

Originally Posted By: brianl703
Does it sync up if you plug the modem in at the telephone network interface? (Even an apartment building should have a telephone network interface).
if i use the moem cable to hook up to this, will the "data" light blink or stay on to know if it's working?

Last edited:
Modems tend to be buggy. Power everthing done. Power up the modem all by itself and WAIT 5 minutes before firing up your computer.

Make sure all settings in the modem are correct, and that you're using the correct name/password from your phone company. Have them reset your password.
Verify VPI/VCI settings..... Check modem PN/rev with mfg website to see if there are any software patches that can fix issues. Disconnect all home phones. Make sure modem gets filterless signals, 'cause many tend to use the DSL filters everywhere. The home phones get the filters. The modem does not.

The phone company should also send a tech out to your apt building. Around here, frost/moisture/ice/temperature will kill DSL service at the pole very quickly. Nothing like losing DSL everytime it rains until telephone pole wires or the phone service box on house drys out.

i called tech support again,some chick from India answered! after every suggestion,she would pause for about 15 seconds.I had to say"what's next?","then what?","are you still there?,. anyways, we checked in "network connections" and had no lan connection.I just formatted this comp about a week ago. it's a dell 2400.they keep insisting it's my comp.

When you say no LAN connection, do you mean that the LAN icon is not displayed or it is displayed but says no connection? If you reformatted it, it's possible that your LAN driver didn't get installed by default.

Typically to avoid help they'll blame the computer, I've had Comcast say that as well about routers I had.

The only way I know of to test the line is to hook up the modem to another phone jack in the apartment, or hook up a phone into that jack (if you have phone service from that same company).

Look in your Device Manger under Network Adapters and see if your network card shows up. If it doesn't show up or has a ? next to it you will need to load drivers for it. You can also go to the Network Control panel and see if an icon for Local Area Connection shows up.

Do the LEDs on your network connector light up when you plug in the cable from the modem?

1) Is your modem from your internet provider? If you are not sure, ask them if your modem is supported. Call them to get diagnostic instruction.

2) Is your modem's SYNC/ATM/Line/whatever light turns green after power on for a while, or does it stay orange/yellow/red/blink?

3) Try to connect your PC directly to your modem. Assume that you get DHCP rather than static IP (most likely, since it is cheaper and you are not hosting a server), run ipconfig in windows command prompt or whatever equivalent in MAC. See if you get a realistic IP address.

This is as far as general troubleshooting goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back